If you create a community, please try and populate it with content. I see a lot of new communities with 0-1 posts from the mod. That’s not nearly enough to get people engaged - users are going to see that it’s a ghost town and leave.

If you have enough interest to create a community, you probably know something about the subject matter, so PLEASE add some posts (5-10 would be a good start). Maybe some questions to get people talking, even popular reposts from other sites. It sucks shouting into a void, but if you don’t do it, everyone else will also be shouting into a void.

Also please consider whether you need to create a community! When there are 100 million users of the site, there may be 1000 people who are interested in the same exact niche tabletop RPG as you, but there are <500,000 users here for now, so you’ll be lucky to find 10. Consider creating a thread in a broader community (like boardgames) until you have enough people talking in the thread that it gets messy - then it’s time to create a separate community.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

• BeMoreCareful@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I wonder if years of fleeing the front page to niche subs conditioned us all to try and make niche subs here when we should just be shooting the breeze right here on front street.

It feels so alien to actually put a run on sentence idea out and not parrot a meme.

That said I made some shit posts on one of the nichest of niche communities.

• kwot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agree with this sentiment. The night’s young here, so I think a little consolidation would do more to help us at this point in time

• dystop@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s very true. For example, a general “anime” community would be better, until it gets hard to keep track of what’s on the first page - after which some series could splinter off.

Its hard to get people to agree on this though. And I think the other extreme of not letting people create communities isn’t the best either.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I hard agree.

In fact, I’m finding that NOT focusing on these small interests, is largely more enjoyable of an experience.