So I’m not sure if I can or should continue my relationship with my fiance or try to fix things. We’ve been together for two years now. When we first started dating they said that they were working on finishing their masters degree but they have not done so. They also said they’d be going back to work after they finished their degree. They have just been running through their savings and staying at home. They do most of the chores but the house is often a bit of a mess. Now they’re saying that they want to wait until after kids to go back to work. My family also thinks it is a bad idea to marry them.

• themeatbridge
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1212 days ago

After kids? After kids are born? After kids move out? Are you expected to be the sole provider for the entire family until then? What job will they get without having finished their degree?

It’s extremely common for people to struggle finishing their degree, especially when they question their viability in the job market. You two are partners in this, and if they expect you to provide for them, then there needs to be a conversation about expectations. If you love them, talk about what they want out of life, what they want to do as a career, and whether they are studying what they want or if it’s just stalling getting a job.

This doesn’t have to be the end of the relationship if you want to make it work. But it is a major red flag if they expect you to pick up their financial slack.

• @zoneOP
      link
      English
      212 days ago

After kids are in school. They’re expecting full support during the whole first years of kids.

• themeatbridge
        link
        fedilink
        English
        711 days ago

So, you’re thinking 5 years before school, plus another year of pregnancy, and you said “kids” plural, so add another two years between them, and you’re not married yet. That’s like 10 years before your partner gets a job, and you’re paying for everything?

• @zoneOP
          link
          English
          211 days ago

Yeah, that’s what it’s looking like they want.

• themeatbridge
            link
            fedilink
            English
            311 days ago

Is that what you want? Is that what you discussed or envisioned together? A breadwinner and a homemaker? Because that can work if it’s what you both want, but there are several reasons that arrangement has fallen out of vogue. It creates an imbalance of power and an uneven distribution of labor. It can foster resentment when neither individual fully understands the struggles of the other. You think you’re doing more than your fair share all day at work, and resent the money they spend. Meanwhile, they spend all day keeping up the house and raising children, and you come home and leave some dirty dishes in the sink or your boots on the floor, and they think you don’t respect or appreciate the things they do.

As in all things, communication is the key to a happy relationship. Talk about your desires and concerns, talk about what you want from the relationship and from your life. Can you afford to live on a single income? Do you want to sacrifice family time to earn a living? Being responsible for a single income family means you’ll need to put work first a lot, or risk letting everyone down. Is that what they want?

• @zoneOP
              link
              English
              210 days ago

Not at first. This is fairly recent. She already gets snippy about me not helping that much around the house. I do help but I’m not taking on half of the work.

• themeatbridge
                link
                fedilink
                English
                210 days ago

Ok, well, best of luck. Therapy is always a good idea, and couples therapy might be worth the discomfort of getting to couples therapy.

• @zoneOP
                  link
                  English
                  210 days ago

Thank you :)

• dumples
        link
        fedilink
        412 days ago

Do you currently have kids together? What is the timeline for these things? Its a lot of time to have two people living off of a single income especially if you two aren’t married yet

• @zoneOP
          link
          English
          212 days ago

Not currently. But as soon as we get married.

• dumples
            link
            fedilink
            412 days ago

If you are having doubts about marriage be careful about having kids right away. Once you have kids you are locked with that person forever. If they aren’t fully pulling their weight now having kids won’t make that any easier. These are serious issues that need to be considered before getting married and having kids. Wedding and then having children is a huge financial, mental and physical burden.

How does the work load work currently for wedding planning? How about the workload for pregnancy and child rearing? Have you talked about it or are you assuming it based on gender roles? These are all important decisions to make together as a team. If they can’t finish school or even work its difficult to see them doing their fair share or if they aren’t working doing more than their fair share of domestic labor. (Which is real difficult labor and should be counted as such as a couple)

• @zoneOP
      link
      English
      712 days ago

Cry and make excuses.

• Drusas
        link
        fedilink
        1112 days ago

Are they receiving therapy? They may have depression, anxiety, ADHD, or something similar going on. These all make it hard to achieve one’s goals even when the intention/desire is there.

• @zoneOP
          link
          English
          712 days ago

They do have ADHD and is medicated. I know it can be an impediment and try to support them. I’m not sure how much longer I can be OK with little to no progress.

• @Maalus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            411 days ago

Just because something is medicated doesn’t mean it’s cured or not impacting them. There are no magic pills for mental health / disorders.

• Drusas
              link
              fedilink
              111 days ago

Very true. Meds help, but one still needs to put in a lot of work. Sounds like they may need therapy/counseling in addition to meds.

• @zoneOP
              link
              English
              010 days ago

Oh I agree. I struggle with depression and anxiety myself. But, I try really hard to keep my shit together, even when I feel terrible. I don’t feel like she’s putting in the same effort.

• @Maalus@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                210 days ago

Don’t compare who has it worse. Everyone goes through it differently. Be supportive, not angry.

• @mrcleanup@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    811 days ago

If you are to the point where you are asking strangers on the Internet if you should stay or go, I think you know your answer.

• @RamblingPanda@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    711 days ago

Their behavior reminds me a lot of what I did when I stumbled into my depression. I can’t really give you advice, but this might not be what they want to behave like. Especially what you wrote about their reaction when confronted. Not to say what you should do or that you should stand with them through this, but maybe it’s a possible way to find a solution. Maybe not, I’m still struggling after several years. This isn’t something that’ll be magically over once you start taking medication. Whatever you decide on, decide for your best, not theirs. This is hard, I know. But at the end you’re responsible for your well-being in the first place. Kids and pets are the exception, but as hard as it may be, partners have to come second.

• @jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    612 days ago

Clearly your partner is going to be a house spouse, and maybe will pick up a hobby job at some point in the future, but not one with any stress or time lines.

Are you ok with being the sole provider long term?

If not, then you might want to find another partner. If yes, then make peace with your spouse’s ambitions yet inability to execute.

• @zoneOP
      link
      English
      111 days ago

I’m not ok with that. It’s just not really feasible to live off one income these days.

• @zoneOP
      link
      English
      312 days ago

I think that’s how my family feels as well.

• AlexanderESmith
    link
    fedilink
    311 days ago

They aren’t your partner, they’re one of your children.

Either get comfortable with that, or dump 'em.

• @1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    12 days ago

Are you having two fiances? Why do you say they? Is it to not show gender?

I think it’s funny how it becomes intentionally confusing and unclear who you are talking about. :)

• dumples
        link
        fedilink
        -112 days ago

When talking about child rearing there are some gendered expectations. Whether there should be is a different story but currently there are. But besides that gender is mostly irrelevant in these stories but can be important. Age is generally more important for these kind of advice.

• @Carnelian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      512 days ago

Literally didn’t even notice until I read this then went back up and checked the post lol. Not confusing at all imo

• @kenopsik@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      312 days ago

Why do you need to know the gender of the partner? That it not important to know, nor does it matter. This just tells me you have preconceived notions about how they should act and want to formulate your response based on their gender. And if any of the post is confusing to you, you just have poor reading comprehension. :)