• Xhieron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I don’t have any medical debt at the moment, and I think there are probably some better long-term things we could spend our extremely valuable and limited political capital on, so naturally I strongly support this because I’m not a fucking inhuman monster.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Okay, but just like student debt, it doesn’t fix the actual problem. Bailing water out of a ship doesn’t do much compared to fixing the fucking hole in the hull.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Sanders knows that and wants to do both. He mentioned in the statement quoted in the article.

He wants to have universal healthcare and wants cancel existing debt for anyone fucked by the current system.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I love how, whenever centrists kill some progressive policy, centrists are like “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good,” but let a progressive suggest actual incremental change toward something centrists don’t want to do, and suddenly centrists want immediate perfection.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It also doesn’t stand a chance in hell of passing. It’s grandstanding, if anything

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

A congresspersons job is to advance bills consistent with their platform, and the will of their constituents. talking about favoring some hypothetical bill is grandstanding. Actually building the thing and bringing it forward is the real deal.

Now, some bills have little to no chance of passing. This is one of those. But Bernie can’t control who he sits next to.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Bernie doesn’t do a ton of grandstanding. He’s also one of the only senators who introduces bills that get bipartisan support sometimes. I really don’t think he’s introducing a bill he means to go nowhere

• orcrist@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Why do you think it doesn’t stand a chance of passing? Not because people don’t like the idea, but because people accurately believe that big medical and big banks have too much political power.

• Pistcow@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Hmm if there was only a plan a guy that rhymes with Ernie Manders tried to get passed for the past 20 years.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

How is it going with the project of fixing the debt?

Btw those wood ships took on water all the time and had to run pumps every day. I find it amusing that a solution that worked for multiple hundreds of years thousands of times a day is used as an analogy for something not working. Hey did you know that human kidney rarely works pass the 110 years of operation mark?

• FilthyShrooms@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I read that as “Bernie Sanders and Bo Katan” and was excited for a cool starwars crossover event