• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It must be like getting a random boner. You don’t want it right now, but it’s going to happen.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

No, I’d say its much more like corruption of democracy. Nobody wants it, and its only good for the rich and affluent.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I meant one part of the body is doing something while the other rejects it. Left hand. Right hand. Etc etc.

The joke sounded better in my head.

• OlinOfTheHillPeople@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Former AT&T Illinois President Paul La Schiazza is set to go on trial in September 2024 after being indicted on charges of conspiracy to unlawfully influence then-Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan. AT&T itself agreed to pay a $23 million fine in October 2022 in connection with the alleged illegal influence campaign and said it was “committed to ensuring that this never happens again.”

Also, the congressman who took the bribes resigned and is facing trial on October 8th, 2024.

• TubeTalkerX@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s sad to see our Government can be purchased so cheaply…

On the other hand I’m an Illinois resident, how can I sue them over this?

• itsonlygeorge@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You can’t even buy a car for $22500 anymore! The cost to buy political votes is comically low. AT&T is a multibillion dollar company. They probably spend my on toilet paper in a month.

• Worx@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That’s how it works in the US, isn’t it? Or is it bad because AT&T forgot to say the magic word “lobbying”?

• quindraco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah, it takes a special kind of stupid to go to court over bribery in a country where bribery is legal.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

They were caught passing a bag with a dollar sign on it while saying “This money is specifically to pass these laws”.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The US government has provided more detail on how a former AT&T executive allegedly bribed a powerful state lawmaker’s ally in order to obtain legislation favorable to AT&T’s business.

Former AT&T Illinois President Paul La Schiazza is set to go on trial in September 2024 after being indicted on charges of conspiracy to unlawfully influence then-Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan.

A contract lobbyist hired by AT&T “is expected to testify that AT&T successfully passed two major pieces of legislation after the company started making payments to Individual FR-1.”

In one internal email sent to an AT&T employee, La Schiazza allegedly described the company’s quid pro quo with Madigan as “the friends and family plan.”

“Madigan’s outsized power in the General Assembly meant his approval was necessary for the passage or defeat of legislation of concern to AT&T,” the government filing in the La Schiazza case said.

"Specifically, at McClain’s request, defendant and his coconspirators arranged for AT&T to pay Individual FR-1, a former state representative and political ally of Madigan, approximately $22,500 for supposed consulting services.

The original article contains 582 words, the summary contains 176 words. Saved 70%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!