Terminal > Windows Registry.

• Jako301@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I’ve spent ways less time editing the windows registry than I’ve spent trying to fix all the dual monitor bugs with linux.

Windows issues/changes are a 30 second google search away, linux issues often enough require a 1 hour deep dive into multiple forums.

• BirdyBoogleBop@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Have you googled Windows issues? Every problem apparently is fixed by running chkdsk or download a “driver updater”. And it wasn’t exactly good in the past either.

• stranger@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

If you don’t know what to search, how to word it, or where to look instead of clicking the first link with “[SOLUTION]” then maybe you shouldn’t be troubleshooting…

• BirdyBoogleBop@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Oh come off it. Obviosuly you don’t click those the problem is the Microsoft support articles are outdated/missing and their own forums aren’t much better.

The chaff you have to cut through for Microsoft products is on another level.

• Jelloeater@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It… Depends… Also, you picked the wrong platform to argue against Linux on 😅

• Donkter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

The fact that you have to say it depends and wait for clarification of which exact flavor of Linux version and problem it is is just chef’s kiss

• Eheran@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Ah yes, no counter arguments here, only patting on the back while everyone takes turns looking down on a different group of people.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Wayland pretty much solves every single dual monitor issue. Only problem now is getting complete Nvidia support and patching out edge cases. I dual monitor all the time, and not just normal dual monitor either, the monitor count increases or decreases on a whim and not a single screen in use are the same. They all have different refresh rates, resolutions, orientations, vrr & hdr support, color ranges, etc. everything works as expected.

• KingOfSuede@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Last time I checked (during the installation of Fedora 39), HDR support was nearly non-existent in Linux, with the only options being some hacky experimental support for gaming via Gamescope. Has that changed in the last 6 months? It’s the only thing holding me back from jumping to Linux these days.

• Rustmilian@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

KDE Plasma 6 has experimental HDR support. The HDR Wayland protocol isn’t finished just yet. Here’s a good source.

• stranger@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I do technical support (mainly Windows but some Linux) and fully agree; most people just want to project for one reason or another. My main concern is privacy and bloat, but those are easy enough to address on either platform.