So I made a passing comment of “it’s almost like private car ownership is a really inefficient use of space and resources” the other day, which I didn’t really pay much mind to. But all the replies were either explaining the concept of public transportation as if I don’t know that’s the solution to private car dependence (not in a constructive way adding to my comment or anything, I got the sense that they were trying to explain the concept to me) and someone even basically said “well I’m sure you think urban sprawl is an efficient use of space then.”

Are the “normies” this oblivious to how anti-car sentiments work? Do they think we’re against the concept of a metal thing with four wheels and not its effects on urban development and society? Why the hell would I be against public transit or pro urban sprawl if I hate cars? Cities before cars were invented had public transit and were tightly packed and walkable. You don’t think I support that?

• DamarcusArt@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s the basic false dichotomy at the heart of every defense of the status quo.

“Oh, you don’t support [bad thing]? Well that means you clearly support [even worse, cartoonishly bad thing] instead! I’m not going to listen to you!”

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Essentially libs when you mention that Biden still operates concentration camps for migrants

• 小莱卡@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Normies think buying a completely new electric car is a solution to the climate crisis, in other words, yes normies are oblivious.

• FuckYourselfEndless [ze/hir]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Most people can’t actually read that well, so there’s that. And also once things get into political boxes people are going to be clumsy at putting you into the correct box, assuming there even is one. Anonymity and the passive-aggressive dunks on sites like Reddit and Twitter encourage this. It feels like they’re trying to out-manoeuvre rhetorically so they can’t get pwned.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Where was this? Here? I feel like I would know that you were proposing public transportation as an alternative/solution to the massively inefficient system where every individual gets their own vehicle.

• Marxism-Fennekinism@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Reddit. And it was in reply to a commemt complaining about the cost of car parking too. So yeah I probably should have seen it coming. I was still genuinely surprised enough at the response to warrant this post.

Like, I was prepared for comments about “freedom” or “only poor people use public transit” but not for people to completely not understand why I hate cars.

Like I said in another post, I really need to stop engaging with these kinds of takes. That’s on me.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s very easy to get drawn in. I’m probably wrong about it most of the time because the bourgeoisie isn’t all powerful; but for the sake of my own mental health I assume that people I’m arguing with online are paid agents. Either state agents or agents for companies/industries. The effect is the same either way.

People who would die on the hill of e.g. individual modes of transport may as well be paid agents. And they won’t ever try to understand your point because they affiliate themselves with e.g. fossil capital like a Roman client to their patron.

It helps to see that there was never a clean break from feudalism to capitalism; an echo of those past relations is still with us. It helps (me) to see e.g. liberals as subservient to their overlord(s) in the same way as knights to their lords. It should be assumed that their loyalty to the ‘system’ and to the haute bourgeoisie isn’t questioned.

In a way the people you’re arguing with are all paid agents, if sometimes indirectly. Either as members of the bourgeoisie, labour aristocrats, or compraadors. They see it as their job to proselytise for capital. Any counter narrative or facts are heresies.

Not everyone is like this but once you realise the other person is like this, there’s almost zero point in getting worked up about them not understanding you or speaking in good faith; if they could, they would rather burn you at the stake to keep you quiet. It often feels like they do the online version of that, too, as they scorch any possibility of rational conversation with one of their many – intentional, if occasionally subconscious – tactics.

• SpaceDogs@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

How did they get you criticizing private car ownership to supporting urban sprawl? Isn’t that the exact opposite of what you were stating?

• glimse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Sounds like you’re trying to extrapolate too much from an isolated incident. You know full well that this isn’t the mindset of most car owners, you’re just “asking questions” like everyone’s favorite ex-host.

I expect that my opinion isn’t going to popular here but as someone who wants to get involved but is completely put off by the community, I’ll dig my grave further:

“Normies”

This sort of thing, along with the edgy 90s teen marketing name, is part of why this movement hasn’t gained as much traction as it should have. The holier-than-thou attitude that’s prevalent here is awful, fuckcars is the antiwork of infrastructure.

“Fuckcars” is one of the worst names you could have for promoting people-centric infrastructure development. All publicity is good publicity I guess, but the name is divisive as hell and makes the movement (WHICH I AGREE WITH) look like it’s run by a bunch of kids who aren’t even old enough to drive.