• 1984@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Everyone is a lot safer, faster and less vulnerable by being on smaller servers.

It’s not possible to ddos thousands of smaller instances in the same way. And if communities were spread out, taking a few instances down wouldn’t even be noticeable.

• hellishharlot@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I expect as federation becomes more common we’ll see patterns like user servers, community servers, archive/redundancy servers, and eventually it’ll be less clustered. My instance that this version of me is on is much snappier than lemmy.world but it’s also federated differently and that’s very obvious when searching or browsing all

• 1984@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah I’m not exactly clear over why federation differs either. Its designed not to differ I assume?

• hellishharlot@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It is actually! The idea is you can join servers with certain levels of curation. For example if lemmy.world decided tomorrow it didn’t like blahaj.zone it could defederate them. That’s not the point of blahaj.zone but think of it like having multiple reddit accounts with different subscriptions each account is like a superpowered multireddit on it. You choose the subreddits that go in the multireddit but not that the account it’s on subscribes to

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Theoretically, yes. Practically, maybe not so much as a ton of these smaller instances are consolidated on a just a handful of hosting providers.

• 1984@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

When Lemmy.world was ddos’ed, other instances didn’t feel any of the effects, despite being on the same hosting provider. So it really matters - spread out :)