• A_A@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Since Microsoft committed the Windows 11 atrocities, any countries may want 100% of those Microsoft Crooks to get the hell out.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

IT guy here, I can sort of accept Windows 11 from a user’s perspective, but the new Outlook is absolutely unforgivable.

It is a peice of utter garbage and will break so many workflows that I am scared for the future.

Microsoft built their dominance on Office, not Windows, specifically, Excel and Outlook.

Sadly almost every company runs Exchange and there is a lot of companies that either already run 365 or are migrating to it.

• filister@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Do not forget their so-called open document format (OOXML), which is everything but open, and their deliberate efforts to suffocate the competition, by abusing their market position.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I know that’s true of large enterprises but I spent about a decade in an around start ups and few used Microsoft stuff (except Excel for finance people). If you’re starting from scratch and have a bunch of young employees, there’s really no reason to stick with the legacy Microsoft stuff.

Not saying “Google’s office suite is better than Microsoft’s.” Microsoft’s cloud offerings are basically the same now and there’s some advantages and disadvantages. I just mean there’s a generation of people that know Google Workspace better than MS Office.

• A_A@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Likewise, in 1995 M$ made WinRAR. it took the place of a much better product that was PKZip which existed since 1989. Since then I always see crooked things in each of their products and predatory commercial moves.

• A_A@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

from your link : “WinRAR is a Windows-only program.”
            … you are right that it was created by someone else in an independent company but then distributed by M$ … the important part for me is that it came after PKZip and took its place, and is worse.

• atocci@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

It’s not distributed by Microsoft either, it’s distributed by Win.rar GmbH from their own website. The developers made it only for Windows, but that doesn’t mean Microsoft played any part in it. Windows is the most widely used desktop OS, especially in business environments, and selling to businesses is where WinRAR makes their money.

Also, 7zip 4 lyfe

• olympicyes@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

If you want to be mad about something relevant, be mad that Windows 10/11 use deflate64 for zipping very large file. By default, deflate64 is not compatible with Python ZipFile nor Gnome’s built in unarchiver app.

• downpunxx@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I’d put up all the Microsoft atrocities you can name, against the CCP any day of the week and twice on Sundays

• Someonelol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

It’s the Chinese government. Not the common Chinese people. I have no problem with ordinary folks trying to live out their lives with friends and family. I do take issue with the CCP using its military to bully fishermen in the South China sea and fucking over the Uyghurs, Tibetans, and Taiwanese.

• Nom Nom@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Exactly.

I’ll never forget the 2019-2020 Hong Kong protests and how the CCP responded. And how so many people of Wuhan suffered because of them, not to mention all the whistleblowers that are still missing.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

A billion common people could take down the government if they wanted. They like it that way.

• Maeve@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Ohh, this is why all the layoffs! Their going to import employees and pay exploit them. Greedy, greedy M$.

• filister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That’s a very strange title, I think in the end the US would suffer more, because China would be able to easily replace this talent, but the same cannot be said for the US.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’m not understanding your idea. Why would it be harder for the US to replace tech talent? We’re not restricted to just hiring US nationals. The green card queue is decades long. Ask any H1-B visa holder you know their ‘priority date’ for green card consideration. They’ll be able to tell you immediately.

• Dreizehn@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

“F that!” US Immigration should not allow a bunch of fucking CCP/PLA members and MSS agents into the USA.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Relax. I’m sure they’ll be vetted and probably most won’t even be Chinese citizens. China is just as complicated a place as America^1. I’m an American software developer and I’d rather eat a bowl of hair than go work for my own government, much less any other. There’s lots of Chinese tech workers who just want to write software and not get involved.

^1 I’ll admit, Chinese food is more complicated. Like Louisiana vs Szechuan is a fair fight. I’ll take the Pepsi challenge with Memphis BBQ vs their best smoked pork. But after that, we’re gonna need to pretend Mexican and Italian food are American to be competitive.