Firefox’s Enhanced Tracking Protection (Strict Mode) is known to cause issues on x.com

There were no “issues”; everything was working completely fine. This is a deliberate decision to force people to turn off tracking protection.

I saw a recommendation to use Firefox’s container extension https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers, but it’s disabled in private browsing windows, and I always use private browsing windows.

• penquin@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I have an app called TrackerControl. It blocks a ton of shit. Here is one rule of thumb I have, if a website breaks because of this app, I’m not going to it. I don’t need it. I can live without it. So many apps work no problem. The ones who don’t, they want to fingerprint and track me.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Hey :) may I suggest rethinkDNS to have a more granular control over your installed application? Also it’s possible to block everything except the apps you trust while still being able to use your own DNS/wireguard VPN/proxy…

Also If you want a more in depth overview of every connection your phone attempts to make, give Pcapdroid a try !

• kratoz29@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

while still being able to use your own DNS/wireguard VPN/proxy…

Wait, I thought the “downside” of this app was that it used your VPN connection, compared to NextDNS or the built in DNS feature of Android.

I also use AdAway rooted version and not really looking into changing it, but if you could clarify about this I could happily see it as an alternative :)

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Hey :)

Wait, I thought the “downside” of this app was that it used your VPN connection.

It does, but if you have a VPN that let’s you send your traffic through wireguard (like protonVPN, don’t know about others :/) it will send all your traffic through that tunnel.

Also, there was a recent update which uses your wireguard’s DNS instead of rethink’s hardcoded internal DNS. That was the awaited updated I needed to fully switch to rethinkDNS.

There are still some quirks in the interface and a few strange behavior with wireguard when waking the phone up, but nothing that causes leaks in my experience, because if my wireguard tunnel isn’t working rethink isn’t able to make any requests !

Hope it helps :).

• macattack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Samesies. What has become increasingly frustrating is that many opt-out emails require me to disable tracker control. It should be illegal to force tracking to avoid future tracking