• HuddaBudda@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t think you’ll find many people that don’t look at our current healthcare system as a wreck. People are paying $150-$300 a month for a coupon that takes 70% off their next hospital bill of $200,000.

A better message would be that Trump is coming for our Democracy.

But this current message lacks any perspective on our current healthcare system.

• cooljacob204@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

A lot of old ppl are on free government healthcare. That is who Biden is targeting with this statement.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Wonder if it’s occurred to Biden that millennials now outnumber the boomers.

And then there’s gen z voters.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Yes. .

It can get a bit murky, based on how people split the age sections. Gen X, for example is frequently split between two age ranges (they’re people between ~45 and 60, and for example the census splits people as 34-65, or others at 55.)

Also keep in mind that boomers tend to lean red where millennials tend to lean blue.

It doesn’t help that boomers are dying off. Cuz you know. that happens.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Ya’ll are only paying $150-$300?

My wife and I are $500 each, and it doesn’t cover much until the yearly 5 figure deductible is hit.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

So, genuinely, why even pay for it?

You’re going to go bankrupt anyway. Might as well save the cash, open a trust and transfer it in there so debt collectors can’t touch it, then file for chapter 7 bankruptcy. Then just don’t pay the absurd bills.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

The idea of health insurance is to not go bankrupt if we get sick. A 5 figure bill is not pleasant, but not insurmountable for us.

So if one of us ends up with medical bills for $800k, we’ll spend something like $30k if treatment straddled two years, and our insurance pays the rest (theoretically).

It sucks ass, but health insurance is pretty much useless at general day to day health coverage that costs in the 3-4 figure range. But absolutely essential for the catastrophic life saving coverage that would wipe us out.

Of course, due to in/out coverage bullshit, and insurance companies fighting claims, there’s always the strong possibility we get wiped out anyway. But that’s another discussion.

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Here’s something fucked up.

I’m a software engineer making serious bucks, and my job’s plan is like a fraction of most people. When I worked at a bar, I was paying twice as much in today’s dollars.