• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So does this get brought up in debates? Does the press force him to justify his two-faced stance? Or does this just disappear down the memory hole with an AP article?

Can we get an ad from the “Bobby Newport has never worked a real job in his life!” guy?

• solsangraal@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

ah good ol’ mark robinson. blurter of such gems as “if anyone should apologize for slavery, it’s black people,” and “we should read more hitler quotes”

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The corruption is great enough that he was able to climb it step by step to a potential high office. People like this are disgraceful.

• draneceusrex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Add to that we have about $1 Billion surplus currently here in NC with so many things that money could help with, not the least in our schools that are at crisis staffing levels…I am sure they will go to vouchers and charter schools instead…

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Over the past decade, Robinson’s household has relied on income from Balanced Nutrition Inc., a nonprofit founded by his wife, Yolanda Hill, that administered a free lunch program for North Carolina children.

The income offered the Robinsons a degree of stability after decades of struggle that included multiple bankruptcies, home foreclosure and misdemeanor charges — later dropped — for writing bad checks.

“Yolanda’s nonprofit was providing a salary for her that was enough to support us,” Robinson wrote in his 2022 memoir, noting its growth gave him the freedom to quit his furniture manufacturing job in 2018 and begin a career in populist conservative politics.

A major issue, according to government emails obtained by The Associated Press, was a lack of documentation: missing menus, timesheets, prior approval for some expenses and confirmation of income eligibility for children receiving aid.

Some of her raises coincided with Balanced Nutrition receiving additional government pandemic aid, including a $150,000 grant in 2023 that was made possible through the American Rescue Plan — signature legislation signed into law by President Joe Biden.

In 2021, after he won statewide office and started drawing a public salary that is now $157,000 a year, Balanced Nutrition stopped reporting specific compensation information for members of Robinson’s family on its annual tax forms.

The original article contains 1,730 words, the summary contains 213 words. Saved 88%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!