Is it just me or are many independent search engines down? Duckduckgo, my go to engine, qwant, ecosia, startpage… All down? The only hint I got was on the qwant page…

Edit: it all seems to be related to bing being down. I hope the independent engines will find a way to get really independent…

• ClassifiedPancake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I hope Apple will finally allow custom search engines because the current workaround when wanting to use Kagi as default in iOS Safari is a shitty user experience (and I’m not blaming Kagi for that)

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Lol wow. It is 2024 and apple still doesn’t give you basic browser v1.0 functionality

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

You’re implying that the first browser was curl? I don’t think people called that a browser. And even if they did, they obviously weren’t using it like we do now.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Obviously not the first but might win a “most basic browser currently maintained” competition if it qualifies (not if HTML rendering is a criterion).

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I mean, it’s an http client, I’ll give you that, but I don’t see how it could be considered a “browser” since all it handles is the server interaction