• alyth@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I’ve tried learning GIMP, and it sucks. I’m not saying GIMP sucks, but you have to be crazy to not see that it’s hard to learn.

I use GIMP for memes and here’s my two favorite tips

• Hit the forward slash key / to open a command palette and jump to any action

• To remove backgrounds, use a layer mask. select around the object and paint a white/black section on the layer mask. Here comes the trick: use a Gaussian filter on the layer mask to create a transition from black to white and the crop job looks a lot less choppy.

My anti-tip

• Adding text and shapes sucks and I never found a way to make it better. Export your image and finish the job in Krita, Pinta, Photopea, …
      • KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I used the Blur Border (or whatever it’s called) option that’s right there in every selection tool’s settings.

• werefreeatlast@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

Smart people use terms like gaussian blur to refer to a blur distribution rather than a non technical term such as feather. Feathers are what helps birds fly for example. Let’s try:

“You can feather the pedals on your car to make it drift.”

“You can feather the pedals on your Ford to make it do the Tokyo style turns.”

Which sentence was better 😂?

• SatyrSack@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

select around the object

Any tricks on getting the fuzzy select tool to work? Even after adjusting the threshold, it is just garbage in my experience. Nothing close to Affinity/Photoshop. Unless I am selecting something that is in front of a very solid background, I just use a paint brush on a layer mask in order to “cut out” an object.

• alyth@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I have no tips and agree with you 100% - never managed to get the fuzzy select or smart scissors going.