More than a thousand Harvard students walked out of their commencement ceremony yesterday to support 13 undergraduates who were barred from graduating after they participated in the Gaza solidarity encampment in Harvard Yard.

Asmer Safi, one of the 13 pro-Palestinian student protesters barred from graduating, says that while his future has been thrown into uncertainty while he is on probation, he has no regrets about standing up for Palestinian rights.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Asmer Safi, one of the 13 pro-Palestinian student protesters barred from graduating, says that while his future has been thrown into uncertainty while he is on probation, he has no regrets about standing up for Palestinian rights.

I guarantee this person that half a dozen institutions around the world will issue them a degree with full credits already earned just for their standing up for Palestine.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

As someone who has a great deal of respect for academia, my opinions on the administrations of many average and top universities has declined significantly. In the last month or so.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Sadly, probably not in practical terms.

Even if someone is angered by their actions, the employers are unlikely to hold it against those holding degrees, it isn’t their fault.

Meanwhile the jobs that only would accept Harvard or similar ivy League won’t care about why they didn’t actually get the degree, they just see that a degree was not from their precious “Harvard”. This may be a hard requirement or just a massive advantage branding wise for your university.

If this weren’t the case, Harvard couldn’t charge so much to attend, no one would pay.

So maybe if withholding the degree came with a big refund for all the money spent for the diploma they refuse to give, but as it stands…

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Sure, but let’s say that, for example, La Sorbonne says they have credits earned for a degree instead.

There are many prestigious institutions in other countries that might offer them a degree.

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I’ve never heard of La Sorbonne. Which is likely because I’m an ignorant American, but so are many of the people usefully swayed by the “Harvard graduate” title in professional life.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

Why do you think that many of the people usefully swayed by Harvard wouldn’t be usefully swayed by La Sorbonne just because you’ve never heard of it?

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Simple, because I could be in a position to hire someone and wouldn’t notice “La Sorbonne” as anything noteworthy when flipping through resumes. And it’s not just hiring where prestige can be useful, it’s business pitches, op-eds, political speaking. These aren’t things universally judged by HR managers who, making the assumption they’re even good at their job, might recognize elite foreign institutions, they’re judged by everyday people who might not even be able to name the full top 10 US-based universities, but know the name “Harvard”.

I’ve met plenty of Harvard undergrads so they don’t hold a mystique, but the paper they get from the institution is nevertheless a valuable asset.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Yes, again, just because you haven’t heard of one of the world’s most prestigious universities doesn’t mean no one else has.

• njm1314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I’d rather doubt it. They worked really hard to get into and graduate from Harvard, there’s a reason they got into that school. There’s a reason they got a degree there. It was probably their dream. It was an accomplishment they could be proud of, and one they knew that would help further their dreams in the future. To suggest they could just get one anywhere else is dickish.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Of course they are, because now you have this whole affair to write about. You were good enough to graduate from Harvard, so good that you got famous because of your just actions, and then you got a degree from somewhere else.

If you want to work at some unethical company, they might not take you, but if if it’s a place that has some semblance of integrity, then your resume is rock solid.

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

A lot of companies don’t like “troublemakers”, no matter their core ethics. They demonstrated that they’re willing to speak their mind publicly even if the people “above” them tell them not to and that’s something nearly all “above” people (e.g., managers doing hiring) can’t tolerate.

• decivex@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Not sure why you’re being downvoted, it’s a valid question and I don’t think you’re asking it to be mean.

• njm1314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Probably those students who paid for the classes and work so hard to graduate at Harvard I would imagine. Probably matters a lot to them. I think maybe suggesting that it’s no big deal they had their degrees stripped from them unjustly Because they can just get one from somewhere else is kind of asinine to say.

• OpenStars@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Attending a graduation ceremony is a different thing than being able to graduate. I think I read earlier that they were banned from the former, but I had not seen where they would literally be denied their actual degree.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Thank you for the correction. Yes with all the talk of the commencement I wondered… but this article updates & confirms it.

which essentially means that I am a student not in good standing and will not be allowed to get my degree

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Your info is out of date. The university has since stated that the 13 students are on academic probation for a year, and will be ineligible for graduation. In short, they’re being held back for at least a full year.

And realistically, the uni is likely waiting for the fervor to die down, before they find some bogus reason to kick all 13 out entirely. But they know they can’t do that while the spotlight is on them, so they’re barring the 13 from graduating while they wait for people to lose interest.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

In short, they’re being held back for at least a full year.

Which means they will have to pay for another year of tuition. This sounds like it’s going to work out pretty well for Harvard’s bottom line.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Tbh I never even considered that as a possibility, though you could be right - we’ll see what happens.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Thank you - THIS Is the kind of detail I have been wanting to know. The college will not simply “delete” their grades for the prior 4 years, so being placed on probation is quite a significant hardship, but less than if that were to happen. Do you happen to know if they would simply get their degree one year later, or have to be “re-admitted” to Harvard again for that to happen? (my guess is the former, or even if the latter then a streamlined re-admission process proffered)

So this sounds like “introducing a delay in getting their degree” process, rather than “banning them from ever receiving a degree from that institution for life” one.

The article mentioned someone who gets to keep their Rhodes Scholarship even, so definitely people are sympathetic, and I wonder if the main harm from all of this will fall onto the institution of Harvard itself.

• fossilesque@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

It is a spiteful action because they know they would lose the ensuing lawsuit if they went further.