I have been watching magnet fishing and people love to toss stuff over bridges without a second thought on the environmental impact. Hiding evidence I can almost understand but not lawnmowers, car batteries, etc.

It seems deeper fines should be made to discourage this terrible behavior.

• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Lack of proper disposal facilities and/or fees for using said facilities. Easier to dump something in a lake or in the bushes than driving 40 minutes across town to a special facility and paying $30+ to dispose of it properly.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Everyone who disposes properly has to pay a fee. The only ones who have to pay the fine for dumping are those that get caught.

Solution: turn responsible disposal into a game, where if you can successfully sneak your trash to the correct section of the disposal center without anyone noticing, you get paid the amount you would have had to pay as a fee.

• parpol@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It is free in Sweden but we still have bicycles under every bridge. My guess is the bicycles were stolen to get home from a night out, and then disposed of.

• lud@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

It’s not free for companies and private citizens always (afaik) have pay for garbage collection which includes access to recycling places (landfills are illegal)

• Grabthar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

Canada used to do this, but then they switched to charging the disposal “eco” fee up front when you buy the product new. Everything from that point on has been free to dispose of. Any metal or electronics products are all saleable scrap though, so you can get paid for them if you take them to a metal recycler instead of the dump. A lot of places advertise free places to dump those products so they can take them in to sell. Some will even come pick them up for free as well. But if something doesn’t have an eco fee or isn’t otherwise valuable scrap or recyleable, you pay by weight to landfill it.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

Depending on what it is the cost is a lot more than $30 which is a big reason these things get dumped. An old fridge with toxic coolant could be closer to $1k.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

Fun fact, those refrigerents can be (and are required to be) reclaimed and sold to recyclers. Old refrigerants that can no longer be legaly produced are actually worth an absurd amount of money when reclaimed because they can still be used but because they can’t legally be manufactured or imported the only source for them is stuff reclaimed out of other systems. Companies will pay absurd amounts of money to not have to refit their refrigeration systems to work with new refrigerants.

So if you have an old appliance still full of something like R-12 or R-22 then you have a gold mine to someone with the right equipment and certifications.

• Darkassassin07@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The bridge was closer, costs $0 (as long as you’re not caught by law enforcement), and it’s difficult to enforce no-dumping laws as garbage doesn’t ID it’s owner most of the time and you just can’t watch every dumping spot 24/7.

The people that do this are also not particularly wealthy. It’s hard to justify the cost of transport and disposal fees when you struggle to feed and house yourself.

• Onno (VK6FLAB)@lemmy.radio
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I doubt that anyone has researched the origin of such junk in detail.

If it doesn’t fit in your rubbish bin, generally it costs time, effort and money to properly dispose of things. Tossing it off a bridge is efficient.

Likely there’s a not inconsiderable proportion of anti-social behaviour, like stealing a bike and throwing it into a waterway afterwards.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Mostly the second point. I would wager from experience that the majority of small man-portable conveyances that wind up at the bottom of lakes and rivers are there because they were stolen and thrown there. Bikes, motorcycles, rental scooters, shopping carts, etc. The reason is hooliganism, and the contributing factors are alcohol and teenagerhood.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Just for the record, teenage hooligans-in my experience -are actually preferable to the adult hooligans.

Seriously. Teenagers might get drunk and do stupid shit but they’re scared of getting caught and run away. Many times they’ll even clean up after themselves if you’re not a total dick.

Adults tend to stand their ground and pick fights.

(Also, every demographic you care to name steal shit. Sobriety, income, race. None of it matters.)

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

people are inherently lazy. fines are only for poor people.

if you want to solve the problem, provide an easy method for the general public to correctly dispose of shit, and let them know about it.

the issue being that that kind of social awareness and general action costs money, and conservatives would rather watch the world burn than have their taxes raised.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

ye, and if you don’t like the negative connotations of “lazy,” substitute it with “attentive to making cost effective decisions.”

if it costs more, in time or in money, for an individual to properly dispose of something than the negative consequences of just chucking it in a river, the latter option will be chosen. this hilights the importance of community organization to set up a means for disposal, to make it accessible, and to make it known. by working together both the labor cost of disposal and the externality cost of environmental damage can be limited beyond what any individual could do.

• BassTurd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Best case, a load to my local dump is ~$15 min of general waste. Every appliance is $5 or 15 on top of that. I’ve tucked appliances in other appliance before to avoid the fee, but never dumped outside of the landfill.

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

So much this, in NYC (less available now since Covid), there are dump sites for all this stuff (Batteries, Paint, Heavy Metals) as long as its personal amounts (ie cant come with a dump truck) it is at no cost. If you are a business and can not handle disposal fees, well you are unsustainable and should not exist.

• Takumidesh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

For most things you throw away, you can maybe get 50 cents at the a scrapper, of they even take the item

• HubertManne@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

I mean thats fine though in the sense it did not cost you. Maybe I am just lucky that I have scrap places that are not to far away. Im in a city to so if you put something like that you will have randos in trucks grab it to bring it to the yards and get the 50 cents although it must be more because they seem to find it pays their gas and enough more to be doing it.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

Steel is basically worthless for scap at consumer levels. Copper or aluminum is a different story, which is why a lot of drug addicts steal copper.

• kakes@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I see answers for why people dump junk, but not why they dump it on rivers/lakes in particular.

To remedy that: dumping junk isn’t legal, and water is good at hiding things. If someone leaves their TV out on the street or whathaveyou, it might be traced back to them, but that’s less likely in a river.

• SymbioteSynapse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

A lot of it is stolen, stripped of what the theives want, and then dumped to get rid of evidence. Whatever is left anyway. The rest is simply because it’s cheaper than bringing it to the landfill. Landfill is $12-15 for a truckload. The fine is (up to) $10000 for illegal dumping where I am. Lots of risk, but the likelihood of getting caught at night is so low that it isn’t really a factor. Landfill really just needs to be free for individual residents. The amount the gov spends on cleanups is probably more than their $12.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

Around here landfill usage is completely focused on commercial users. Costs $250/ton. Least they can give you is a half-ton. So if I want to get rid of my old bike legally, that’s $125.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

damn metal and electronics are free at the recycle station here. including bikes, appliances, broken screen leftover from phone repair, etc

• iamtrashman1312@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    30 days ago

Speaking to a few stories my dad’s told me over the years, sometimes you’re just a rural dumbass, have a large thing to get rid of, and want a big splash for your amusement

• toddestan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    30 days ago

Junk also tend to accumulate in rivers and lakes. Once it’s in there it’s out of sight, out of mind - and even if you know it’s there it is often difficult to remove.

When it finally gets cleaned up by bringing in the magnet or a barge to dredge it up or whatever, you’re seeing years if not decades of stuff that’s getting pulled out all at once.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      29 days ago

I notice how you didn’t write what country you’re from. That suggests a lack of confidence, that you are expecting people to call you out on it.

But I could be wrong. I’ve been long before. What country?

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    30 days ago

For big times like furniture, engines, toilets, construction debris, etc it’s to save money. You can’t throw those things in a dumpster, and a trip to my local dump costs $160.

• sploosh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

If it’s big and metal there’s a scrapyard that will, at the very least, take it off your hands for free. Free metal is free metal. Getting the big metal thing to the scrapyard is another story.

• Drusas@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      30 days ago

Goddamn. It costs like thirty or forty bucks to throw out one of those items here (not construction debris–that’s too big/heavy).

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        30 days ago

There’s so much NIMBY about landfills they’re rare and very far apart, so they can get away with charging 4x what’s fair.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

I mean to be fair having a landfill around would be one of the only things I’d be a NIMBY about.

I’d even accept a nuclear reactor over a landfill.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              29 days ago

Oh dear, you’ve already forgotten about Fukushima, and it was only 13 years ago. It was a safe power plant, until it wasn’t, and then the city was destroyed.

Oh well, nobody could have predicted it. (Except for all of those people who did predict it. But let’s not worry about them. Let’s just forget about the whole event.)

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                29 days ago

It got hit by a 9.0 earthquake AND a tsunami, and only ONE guy MAYBE died from radiation, FOUR YEARS later.

I remember Fukushima.

You never knew Fukushima. You only knew the bullshit shoveled into your ears.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

It’s unfortunate that waste disposal is one of those things that gets cut back (see, it doesn’t work. Let’s save money). I was pleasantly surprised by my town having more traditional service where they’ll pick up anything. For something big, like furniture, they want you to call ahead so they can send a flatbed, but they’ll take just about anything.

Meanwhile, my ex a couple towns over, has to pay per bag and you’re on your own for anything big

• InternetUser2012@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    30 days ago

I may or may not have done this back in my youth. If I did, it was because I had no idea how to dispose of a broken engine block. Now, I could set it at the curb and a scrapper will have it in their truck within a couple hours.

• bloodfart@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

They won’t pick it up from the curb so you gotta take it to the dump or landfill where you’re either charged to dump it or if it’s free your tax records are checked or if they don’t it’s only taken on certain days and hours.

That’s if you have the ability to transport it to the dump.