• Mexico City could run out of drinking water by June 26, an event locals call “Day Zero.”
  • Three years of low rainfall and high temperatures have worsened the city’s water crisis.
  • The Cutzamala water system, which provides water to millions, operates now at 28% capacity.
  • Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Ah, I remember back when idiots thought climate change meant the world would be under water. Turns out it actually means a lot less water will be available.

• kamenLady.@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

It will be either too much water or no water.

Edit: i just went to check how my country is doing water wise:

Germany is one of the regions with the highest water loss worldwide. Since 2000, the country has lost 2.5 cubic kilometres of water per year. In the years 2019 to 2021, record low groundwater levels below the long-term lowest groundwater levels were recorded at the measuring points in many places.

Seems we already know

Source

• jupyter_rain
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

They forgot the difference between drinking and non-drinking water.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

It’s all drinking water. You just don’t get to drink one type for very long if you keep it up.

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Some areas will be under more saltwater than now, like Florida and the Netherlands. Some areas will be inhospitable due to consistent heat and lack of FRESHwater like Mexico, Northern Africa, India, etc.

• sudneo@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

There is also a mix: salty water that won’t submerge land permanently, but that will reach more and more inland across rivers during high tides. River Mekong comes to mind, along which rice is cultivated and that already now suffers from this phenomenon. Salty water on land means you will not grow anything there anymore. The Mekong delta produces rice that is used to feed an incredibly high number of people in Asia.

• Linnce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

In Brazil there was a mega flooding in the south recently, I knew some people there and they said it felt very apocalyptic. This is most definitely not normal climate.

Also they found some arid (like desert arid) zones recently in Brazil for the first time. It used to be semi-arid.