Warner Bros. said Thursday that it will release more films in its The Lord of the Rings franchise, the first of which is still in script development but is planned to be released in 2026.

• Erasmus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Goddamn. I read this a few days ago elsewhere and seriously thought it was a parody.

WB is going to do to this franchise what it has done to the Harry Potter and the DC (well DC had a couple decent ones) and take what was good and run it straight into the ground.

Had they said they were going to do the Silmarillion or the like I might had been excited but nope just more bullshit.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Literally who is their target for these things? They could ask he fandom and get a ranked list of 100 ideas that would make better games and movies.

You know what no one has thought? “Let’s just watch the opening of Two Towers where they’re scrambling through rocks”. No one wants to just watch (or play) gollum. Give us Gondor, big fights, deep lore, ffs.

• mkwt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I believe the story is that the original three Lord of The Rings films were licensed under an old film option deal (as in the option predated Peter Jackson working on the project). That deal was made when the Tolkien estate was under different management or something. And the current regime is not doing any film licensing for Silmarillion or anything else.

I think this is also related to the Rings of Power Amazon series. I think they sublicensed the rights to the LOTR appendices from the same movie option that the Peter Jackson films were made from, but they couldn’t get access to a Silmarillion.

• SkyezOpen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

And the current regime is not doing any film licensing for Silmarillion or anything else.

After seeing what happened to the hobbit, who could blame them?