• Tronn4@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t understand the interest in lego sets. They were great to me as a kid because they were cheap and you could build whatever. But now as an adult they do have these expensive ass sets that always look fugly as hell and you really can only build what the box shows as the pieces are custom to the set

• Tronn4@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I only remember getting lego buckets and occasionally a lego design book. This is in the early 80’s

• LostMyMind@mastodon.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

@Tronn4 @jacksilver

That’s what I had. Just buckets and buckets of second hand legos. Some probably from the 1950s.

Some were probably so dirty that they were permanently dirty. And I build a dino-cow. What’s a dino-cow? It’s a half T-rex, half cow. Because I can!!!

Now kids are like “Here, build THIS”. My niece doesn’t know what to do with random assorted legos with no build.

I told her to quote Carl, “I don’t NEED no INSTRUCTIONS to know how to ROCK!!!”

• Tronn4@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

Pretty much the same background. Lucky if I could get a new bucket of Legos from the store but it was usually a dollar or two bag of random pieces from the goodwill. But it felt better to me to be able to slap a few bricks together and call it a car or a chicken. I think of building or playing with Legos is to have an imagination to play with as well.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Both exist though and it’s surprising the number of pieces they reuse and adapt just by changing their color

• PM_ME_YOUR_ZOD_RUNES@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Completely agree. I loved Legos as a kid but now they suck. Why would I want to buy a set that can realistically only be used with that set. It’s way too complicated. I want to dump them all in a bin then build whatever I want and not have to sort through all these useless niche fucking pieces.