A purported leak of 2,500 pages of internal documentation from Google sheds light on how Search, the most powerful arbiter of the internet, operates.

The leaked documents touch on topics like what kind of data Google collects and uses, which sites Google elevates for sensitive topics like elections, how Google handles small websites, and more. Some information in the documents appears to be in conflict with public statements by Google representatives, according to Fishkin and King.

• iopq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    29 days ago

I want a federated social bookmarking site. Not for news or discussion of recent stuff, but to keep some good sites in your account and to share with others.

Searching those and getting results with attached upvotes/downvotes would be ideal

• nucleative@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Interesting concept. Like if you could upvote/downvoted the SERP and it actually mattered and wasn’t easy to manipulate.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      28 days ago

Was going to say that I was dreaming of such platform, but then it can be used for more than just links, and work as a decentralized Usenet, and what’s more important, as a rating system potentially more resilient to abuse (by bots or by people whose votes you don’t care about). Then noticed that you wrote “federated”.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

You can deferate low quality instances and mods of instances can ban bots that upvote spam

Each instance can have its own theme, like an anime instance that just moderates anime content and can’t possibly make judgements on whether the physics content is of high quality

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

I don’t want the latest links, in fact there should be no feed, only search and directories