• supafuzz [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

Google SEO enshittification speedrun. you thought it was bad now? just wait until the SEO cretins start getting their sad, grasping little brains around the contents of this leak

• blobjim [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

I don’t even know how you’d fix it other than having a registry of good quality websites that aren’t content mills. I feel like that would actually be a good premise for a specialized search engine.

• JayTwo [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

That’s what Yahoo was alllll the way back in its domestic heyday (Japanese yahoo is an entirely separate beast)
        A hand curated database of websites you could search through.

• FunkyStuff [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

That doesn’t make any sense. This is really gonna hurt google, and if they were doing it to cash out, they’d have a premium search service for people to pay up for.

• Deadend [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

It will potentially damage pagerank. But hey, Google just launched AI search, which is hated because it’s garbage and gives bad results.

They can’t make the AI better, so they will make everything else worse.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

Google has a near monopoly and spends a lot of money to stay that way.

They get money from ads that appear on pages.

It’s also a company with many factions. Burning down search a little is bad For the company… but good for the AI people.

• DragonBallZinn [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

You know, it’s weird how in the 2000s we were all hyped up by some AI as being able to make jobs safer and life easier, and now AI is something we dread, alongside a whole lot of other tech.

“Oh look, ANOTHER thing that’s a touchscreen that no one asked for. ANOTHER AI that’s going to be forced on me that no one asked for. I hate the future bro.”

Am I just getting old?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

I’ve noticed it with people a lot younger than me also finding the stuff to be obnoxious and stupid.

Mainly it’s because the majority of modern tech is built to do shit for finance and ads.

Grubhub was cool at first, mainly because a UI to to look at menus of restaurants and order without having to do everything verbally, the order could still be messed up BUT at least we all agree that this is what the buyer wanted.

Gmail having a search UI was a big deal at the time.

Tumblr giving you an editor and a combined UI for uploading / posting and editing the page was a huge deal.