link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    26 days ago

I was telling an ex about smelling my coworker’s fear all day. He had a crush on me (it was a call center, so not an especially professional environment), and we had to share my cubicle for training, and he was just pouring out anxiety sweat. My ex had no idea what the fuck I was talking about and I’ve never met someone else who can identify the emotions that a person has by their sweat.

Saying someone “can smell fear” is a normal thing that comes up a lot in media, so I assumed it was also normal to notice. Apparently not. I’ll take all of the help my autistic ass can get in iding others’ emotions though

• Armok_the_bunny@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Oh hey, I remember Mythbusters did a thing on that years ago, got a professional sniffer in who was almost consistently able to detect samples of fear sweat out of a lineup of sweat samples. So yeah, fear smell is absolutely a thing if you know what to sniff for.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

You got me down a rabbit hole, but it’s now been officially supported that people subconsciously react to smells, so I’m really curious if more people can train themselves to smell it.

• Aggravationstation@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

I always thought when people talked about “smelling fear” it was just a poetic way of saying it was obvious that someone was afraid. I’ve certainly never been aware of picking up on a person’s emotions via scent or heard someone say that they’ve done that.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

Can you smell it on yourself? Like, do you find that your sweaty clothes smell the same after a run and, say, a presentation (or something else that gives you anxiety/scares you)? I think it’s most noticeable with my own sweat, but fear/anxiety sweat smells bad to me in a way that normal body odor or exercise sweat don’t.

Sex sweat also smells very different, but that’s normally more pleasant to me than the others. I haven’t noticed a specific smell of aggression or any other kind of sweat though.

Edit: I think you’re right that “smelling fear” is metaphoric, but I did not realize that until I started talking about it.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              25 days ago

That’s crazy to me. I’m just learning all this. I barely have a sense of smell so distinguishing between different kinds of sweats is probably entirely out of my reach. I’ll try and train it still

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                25 days ago

It’s the only sense of mine that’s at all good, so that probably has something to do with it

• Sunrosa@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

It smells kind of sour in my experience and i believe I’ve been able to smell it in my childhood pet bird as well as my wife

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Yeah, it smells like battery acid to me. It’s fucking wild if birds use the same chemical signals as we do

• Sunrosa@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

Wow I can’t believe other people smell the battery acid too. Maybe im not hallucinating

• NationProtons@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

This is kinda interesting to me. I can pretty easily notice it with myself (If I’m scared for a presentation or calling with somebody). But I don’t think I’ve every been able to identify it in somebody else

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Yeah, I probably only noticed it in others because my sister and I shared clothing growing up and she is also an anxiety-ridden mess

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

Now I had the opposite thought because I thought it was normal for people and I was the only one who couldn’t lol

• Hux@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago
        • Suddenly makes a game of “tag” way more high-stakes—and FUN!

• Don’t have to feel guilty about boiling your lobsters alive.

• Ticks and mosquitoes? Never an issue.

I’ll admit it makes petting zoos a tragic affair, but what the hell good is “smelling” ants?

• juliebean@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

i only found out they had a smell a couple years ago, and i’m in my 30s. not because i can’t smell them though, but just because i hadn’t noticed it before.

• Halasham@dormi.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Yeah… I can barely smell at all. Even normally strong smells like that of the urine of an unfixed male cat aren’t particularly impactful to me. I wouldn’t have even considered the potentiality that ants have a distinctive smell in spite of being aware that they use pheromone trails for navigation.

• carbon_based@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

Yes, it’s known that humans have individually different sets of smell (and taste) receptors. So it wouldn’t surprise me that some people would be able to smell ant trail/nest pheromones and the like. I’d guess it has less to do with formic acid though, as they do not regularly release that (it’s used mainly for defense). Some people may be really triggered by the smell of certain flowers while most people would barely notice them. I my self recently developed a sensitivity to some certain chemical that appears to be in many cleaning agents, and it’s very disturbing to find that disgusting smell in so many public places, dishwashing detergents, hair shampoos.

This phenomenon comes apparent a lot with foods and spices. My great example is coriander (cilantro): half of the people like the herb but for the rest it has a soapy taste so much that any food that contains coriander leaves is spoilt for them. Coriander seeds however, do not contain that specific compound. I’m one who can’t stand the herb but very much likes the seeds as a spice.

Related and very interesting is also, is individually different bouquets of mating pheromones which are also present in humans (but perception is mostly subliminary). Those are connected to individual genetic sets of the immune system, a place where genetic variability and mixing is of great advantage. We choose our partners by (being able to) smell, more than we are aware of.

Infodump? … Infodump.