I don’t have yet any preferences. Cheap, easy to set up, secure. What do you use and can recommend?

• maxgyver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    30 days ago

Reolink. Cheap, good enough quality, great HA integration, no internet connection needed.

• Tinkerer@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

+1 they are completely local, cheap and have a tight integration with home assistant, I have 5 of their cameras.

• adONis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

can these be configured to stream TO a remote frigate server?

Example: I’d like to install one at my parent’s house, connect it to my parent’s wifi, but have it stream to frigate, that’s hosted on my server in another city?

• maxgyver@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

i had frigate running locally and could integrate them. That said i grabbed the stream from the local network. I guess you would need some sort of local pi to forward the streams. But that is well above my pay grade ^^ sorry

• adONis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

Yeah, I’ve already heard about such a solution, where I’d need a Pi that acts as the streaming client, which then should work with any camera.

• OminousOrange@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        30 days ago

It might not be original quality, but this should be fairly straightforward with a tunnel or VPN connection to your parent’s house. You’d also lose quality in having a WiFi camera instead of wired.

• Convict45@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

And probably four times the quality. If I could go back in time and choose Reolink for every camera I have, I would. In a heartbeat.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

I’ve never used either, so I can’t speak to their actual quality, but cheaping out on cameras defeats the purpose of getting cameras if the footage is too grainy or blurry to be used for anything.

• Stampela@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

The wireless Reolinks are not great. Like, nothing against the camera itself, however, the WiFi antenna must be smaller than the one in my watch. The range is truly abysmal.

Tapo ones are perfectly fine, good quality all around, but it’s important to specify that I have experience with external, solar powered Reolinks and indoor Tapo, so it’s a bit of a different category.