• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

THANK YOU FOR ASKING, NO IT’S NOT.

I know the name ‘Linux’ is used to identify a family of OSs, but in reality it is actually only the kernel (the part of the system that allows hardware and software to communicate)

• Hello@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Would this be what people are getting at when they say “Gnu/Linux”? Or is it closer to saying “Linux Mint” or something?

• LeFantome@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

This is exactly what people mean when they say GNU/Linux. They are trying to say that it is “the GNU Operating Syatem” with the Linux kernel.

This nonesense though. Please ignore them.

Linux Mint is an operating system. It uses the Linux kernel. The fact that it includes a handful of GNU packages in no way justifies co-opting the branding. Linux Mint includes A LOT of software from many sources. Are you going to try to list them all in the name?

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Linux Mint would be an OS built on the Linux Kernel.

Some people have a hang-up on calling any Linux kernel based OS “Linux”, because unlike its competitor, there is a lot of OS flavors.

You have “main” OSes (Debian, Fedora, etc.) and derivative OSes based on these “main” OSes.

Linux Mint for example, is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian.

At this point, it is semantics.

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Interesting. I can imagine this crowd making a big deal of it. The biggest hurdle for many of us to switch is the user base we have to turn to for help. There’s a lot of dissenting opinions and gatekeeping to muddle through. I’m liking Mint so far though. Thank you for the straightforward answer.

• Nisaea@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Mint is solid. I hope you have a great time on it!

I’ll also add that sometimes people project a lot and have a hard time understanding that recommending advanced stuff to beginners is counterproductive more often than not, no matter how much they like said stuff. It’s frustrating. It’s important to meet people where they are and take their needs and goals into account.