• pbbananaman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

If you don’t fight it and accept that imperial is designed with base 12 and not base 10, everything makes more sense. Measurements across all of imperial are to be cut into 12, 6, 4, 3, or 2.

Sometime base 12 works really nicely, especially outside of a lab, when you want to be able to have as many options for division easily as possible.

• pbbananaman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

I get that people like to be stubborn about this but there are very real and intuitive reasons that decimals don’t make sense everywhere. Consider how intuitive telling time using “kiloseconds” and decimals might be.

The right tool needs to be used for the right job. I am a scientist. In the lab, metric is fantastic as it allows for precision recording and I don’t care about intuition.

It’s not a point of pride to use one system over another. For example, in America we use both systems in the right contexts. I am happily able to fluidly switch between what’s most appropriate for the situation. I get that context/code switching is generally difficult but I think it’s an overall value add.