• Tryptaminev@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Good. We have seen with apartheid South Africa that isolation of a rogue terrorist nation is the only non military way of returning it to the community of somewhat lawful nations. No surprise that Israel was a close ally of apartheid South Africa

• Argonne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Meanwhile, you can’t become a citizen in Maldives unless you are Muslim. Hypocritical fucks

• yojimbo@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

There were economic sanctions, there was a huge wave of divestment, but all that was pointed at the institutions of the state - not at its citizens ( like this unfortunate decision of Maledives).

Edit: how much sense would it make blocking black citizens of SA from visiting your country -simply because they live under apartheid?

• Pfeffy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

“how much sense would it make blocking black citizens of SA from visiting your country -simply because they live under apartheid?”

What kind of tortured logic is this? Nobody is saying we’re going to block the Palestinians from traveling anywhere. Only the perpetrators, not the victims.

• yojimbo@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          24 days ago

Nobody is saying we’re going to block the Palestinians from traveling anywhere. Only the perpetrators, not the victims.

Well that is pitty, because they’ve just blocked 2 millions of Palestinians living in Israel proper - Demographics of Israel, wikipedia

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            24 days ago

I’m fed up with that deceitful oft repeated piece of misinformation that’s commonly used to deny that Israel is an Appartheid state:

• Israel separates Nationality from Citizenship and per the Israeli constitution only Jews can have Israeli Nationality. In fact any Jew anywhere in the World is entitled to it and can quite literally travel to Israel and request to get it at the airport.
            • The non-Jews living in Israel you mention either have Israeli Citizenship (not Israeli Nationality, which is a different thing) or not even that because non-Jews born in the occupied Territories (which include Jerusalem and all of the West Bank of which nowadays only a tiny fraction is under Palestinian control) don’t have a natural right to even just Israeli Citizenship and have to apply to get it, and it’s often denied for quite arbitrary reasons.

This is why there are lots of stories of Palestinians being kicked out of houses in Jerusalem where their families have lived for several generations: even thought they were born there they are not Israeli Citizens (if I remember it correctly only around 40% that apply actually get Israeli Citizenship) and hence have no rights at all in Israel.

People fall for this sleazy “Israel has lots of Palestinians living there” crap because normal modern countries don’t have such a convoluted process explicitly dividing people and the rights they get by religion and don’t just deny the right to citizenship to people who have lived in what is now de facto that country’s territory for generations because of having the “wrong” religion.

Depending how the Maldives is doing this (is it based on Israeli Citizenship or is it based on Israeli Nationality?) they might very well be doing it in the fairest way possible (though it will still catch many Israeli Nationals who are anti-war, even if those are a small minority in the country judging by the polls conducted on the subject).

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                24 days ago

Please read what I wrote and then (re)read the Wikipedia article.

Pay special attention in that article to how it’s only ever “Israeli Citizens” that is used, never “Israeli Nationals”, and how the interpretation of all of it changes in light of, in Israel and unlike just about all other countries in the World, CONSTITUTIONALLY a “Citizen” is not the same thing as a “National”.

Unlike the naive interpretation from people who live in rational modern countries which are not etnostates (and were Citizenship is always the same as Nationality), that article doesn’t say anything at all about Israeli Nationals.

• yojimbo@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  24 days ago

I meant

Depending how the Maldives is doing this (is it based on Israeli Citizenship or is it based on Israeli Nationality?)

It’s in the article - passports!

It doesn’t make any difference, since because there really aren’t any supporters of Israel in this thread, you will just open on anyone you assume is one with walls and walls of text (with which I mostly agree with you) but on a topic nobody put forward and in this condescending manner that is just meant to offend people. You haven’t tried to understand my argument at all, you haven’t even read the bloody article, you just want to scream at somebody.

So since you are this terrible at reading - let me put it again just for you and you only, I’ll try to be blunt:

The tragedy here is that Israel says in response to the 7/10 that all Gazans are guilty, they all deserve to die. That is not acceptable, that is called collective punishment. And Maledives are justifying Israels approach by doing the same. Now Israel can say:

" Look ! Maledives are also using the same principle of collective punishment / collective responsibility and the World is praising them! “They are all antisemites and they are all using “special meter” on us and different meter on everyone else:”. /s

…and what is worst - in this case they have a point! This exactly what we don’t need right now. They could have just banned the settlers, or they could have just banned those several settlers Biden has banned and that would be perfectly fine. This is clumsy at best - no - It’s just tragically stupid. It’s costing us time that Gazans don’t have.

I would like to point out that for some time I’ve felt bad for also wrongly accusing somebody without reading it all ironically also in regard to the Gaza conflict, but you are so much worse than I am.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Nearly 11,000 Israelis visited Maldives last year, which was 0.6% of the total tourist arrivals.

Very nice. It’s not just a symbolic boycot

• Mike D.@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      25 days ago

A symbolic boycott is important. They still picked a side in this mess.

• DMBFFF@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

“Go back to Israel, draft-dodger. Murder more Gazans. Allāh be praised.”

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

As the Maldives is a tourist resort 0.6% of the most major income is pretty big

https://www.budgetyourtrip.com/maldives

You should plan to spend around** $299 (MVR4,623) per day on your vacation in the Maldives.** This is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors

Even assuming that every tourist stays one single day that would be 3.3 million dollars. And I’d wager most tourists stay longer than that

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

So, admittedly, $3.3 Million is low-balling it, and that the real figure is probably something like $20 Million, assuming that each tourist stays ~1 week and spends $299/day as you have quoted.

But these numbers don’t mean anything in a vacuum. More context is needed to understand the actual impact of this decision.

The Maldives have a GDP of $6.55 Billion. Assuming that this costs them $20 Million in tourism revenue, that’s only a 0.3% drop in GDP. The annual fluctuation in GDP is ±9%. The impact of banning Israeli tourists is less than a rounding error on the Economy of the Maldives.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

An entire economy is made up of many parts. 0.3% doesn’t sound like much but with big numbers it adds up.

A sacrifice of 20 million dollars is more than just symbolism.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 days ago

The problem here is that $20 million isn’t a “big number” compared to $6.55 Billion.

Believe whatever you want, I can’t stop you, but you are objectively wrong.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                22 days ago

Let’s pretend the Maldives is America. Would you say that America losing 0.3% of its entire GDP over a boycott is "symbolic?

• Dept@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

holy shit the difference in comments between here and reddit’s world news on the same post is insane. Everyone there is a zionist.

• adj16@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

What’s the vibe in there? Cause I don’t like the idea of punishing regular civilians for the government’s actions, so I’m not a fan of this decision. But I’m not gonna come in here and say something like “omg why though, Israel’s the victim!!!1”

• Pfeffy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

Israel doesn’t have regular citizens because of their national draft. Just complicit people, settlers, and people who don’t have to serve because Israel is racist.

• x3x3@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Reddit just banned everyone commenting negatively about Israel or its inhabitants

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Reddit is mostly literal bots. Not figurative ones, literal ZionistGPT bots jerking eachother off.

• Hugh_Jeggs@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

And I was only coming to say that the bloke in the thumbnail looks like he’s in one of those cardboard cutouts that kids stick their faces through to get their photo taken

• m13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Worldnews really is overrun by Zionist bots. If you go to some other subreddits a lot of them seem to still have real humans who are saying so. But it seems like a lot of other subreddits are being taken over by bots at this point too.

• OpenPassageways@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

Took a peek in worldnews recently and yeah it’s bad. I don’t remember it being so bad the last time Gaza was bombed. It’s like they cleaned out worldnews for the IPO or something.

• venusaur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

All Israeli’s have to do military service and they get a bonus afterwards that they often use for travel. Thailand was full of Israeli kids when I went. Would be awesome if Thailand did the same.

• Sheldybear@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Jew here, and travelled through SE Asia. Israelis have always had a terrible reputation in parts of India and Thailand because after completing military service of 2-3 years, these kids get a lump sum before heading off to careers or university. They spend that money on booze and drugs and get off their faces before heading home to start their lives properly, and this is true of the Israeli Arab kids who serve too, as they are also no longer under the watchful eye of their parents or the military.

It’s not uncommon for youth hostels in Thailand not to allow Israelis in groups to stay there, with signage saying so. Always “Israelis”, never “jews”. I saw a lot of this backpacking maybe 8 years ago.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

So what you’re saying is that hate speech against people because of their ethnicity or religion is off-limits, but hate speech against people because of their national origin is perfectly fine?

Sounds shitty.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Amen. People will downvote us for calling it out, but this is absolutely bigtory on display.

I mean, Fuck Israel, they are committing Genocide. Let’s get that out of the way, I don’t stand for what Israel is doing at all.

But everyone deciding that every single Israeli is a “piece of shit” is just making broad discriminatory statements against people because of their Religion, Ethnicity, or National Origin. They aren’t “criticizing Israel”, they are spewing hatred about Israelis and Jews in retaliation for what Israel is done.

Fuck those people. The same kind of assholes who attacked Arab Americans following 9/11, because they decided that if they were mad enough, they could hurt whoever they wanted, and as long as some part of their victim’s identity was tangential to the issue they were mad about, they were justified in doing it.

• parascent@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

Yep I’ve seen reports on their little town in India and how they’ve been awful to the natives.

• DMBFFF@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

wp:Human rights in the Maldives

The constitution declares Islam as the state religion of the Maldives and states that all Maldivian nationals are required to be Sunni Muslims.[13] It is illegal in the country to proselytize any religion other than Islam, and advocate for secularism or the separation of church and state. Apostasy and atheism are also outlawed and those who identify as or accused of being apostates or atheists are punishable by death by Maldivian law (though unenforced) and are often subject to vigilante violence or attacks with little or no consequences for perpetrators by the authorities.

Defamation and Speech “contrary to the tenets of Islam” is illegal.

As the state partially practices Sharia law in some matters, homosexuality is illegal. The punishment for men is nine months to one year imprisonment, or 10 to 30 lashes. The punishment for women is nine months to one year of house arrest.[3]

• DMBFFF@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

This is Lemmy: the Shariah law as practiced by the Maldives doesn’t apply here,

nor did the Maldives fight a war for its very existence on the first day of its independence.

• answersplease77@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Lol they don’t practice shit about any religion. Their government is corrupt as hell. What Shariah law? Have you been there? They have prostitutes from every nation on earth on their exclusive beach resorts for the wealthy

• DMBFFF@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            23 days ago

Have you been there?

Have you been there, anon?

wp:Maldives

Since the adoption of the 2008 constitution citizens and anyone wishing to become a citizens are required by law to nominally follow Sunni Islam[176] which would make Maldives a 100% Muslim country in theory.

• answersplease77@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              23 days ago

Yes I visited the maldives in 2018 I think and I’m not a Maldevi citizen nor sunni muslim. They’re a hypocrite corrupt government.

• مهما طال الليل@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Maybe shouldn’t try to create a country on someone else’s land? Refugees are supposed to assimilate into the culture, not create a separate ethnostate and expel the natives.

• DMBFFF@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            23 days ago

The Jewish presence in Palestine is older than the Muslim.

For that matter, those in the Maldives were Buddhists before they became Muslim.

Instead of blaming the victims of European antisemitism which kind of necessitated Zionism, you might wag your finger at Europe too for this.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          24 days ago

Some countries either lean on the Western side while ignoring Eastern atrocities, some others call out Western neocolonialism while ignoring China’s and Russia’s imperialist crimes, and there are a bunch of countries that are mostly led on the rightful moral principle that genocide is bad whoever does it, so they condemn it back and forth.

Then there is apparently fucking Hungary, who supports the trampling of human rights, genocide and dead children whoever does it. For context, this vote happened while the government was openly fighting with the US ambassador over geopolitics and Hungarian government corruption, and the population is divided on the genocide with no clear lean either way.

• tsonfeir@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          24 days ago

That’s about Israel settlement building

I can find maps with colors too.

Show me the map of countries who have condemned Israel for genocide.

• OBJECTION!@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

I don’t have a map handy, but South Africa’s case was supported by the 57-member Organization of Islamic Countries along with many others so your “193” number is obviously way off.

• pascal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Unfortunately not.

I say that not because I hate Russians.

I hate the Russians that fly to Maldives and act like they own the place and are constantly rude to Maldivians, other tourists and leave trash behind when they leave.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

I’ve seen it described as “manufactured outrage.” I think it’s an appropriate term.

• Aqarius@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Funny thing, I made the same question in reverse once, and the crowd on here descended on me for “whataboutism”.

• slaacaa@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Tbh it is a fine line in many cases, and there is no right answer. Every country can decide who to let in, and others have the right to form their opinion on it. I disagree with this one, as I would also disagree with banning all Russians, but I would highly support the targeted sanctioning and travel restriction of diplomats, politicians and oligarchs of both countries.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

Careful. As I understand, this is considered “whataboutism” and isn’t really allowed to be discussed. Even though it’s a fantastic point to make with regards to the events happening elsewhere.

• volodya_ilich@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Yeah, how come Israel gets all the economic sanctions and Russia gets nothing?? Oh wait…

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

Jesus, the comments here are deranged.

First of all, you can be as opposed to Israel as you want, as it relates to Israel being a militarized state committing genocide. A lot of these comments are just dripping with hatred for Israelis and Jews, solely because of their Religion/Ethnicity/National Origin, and without regard to their actual stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict. Lots of stuff here stooping to the level of bigotry - a pattern that I am noticing from a lot of people on the left who seem to think that their opposition to Israel makes no rhetoric, no matter how hateful, off-limits.

Second of all, the Maldives are are Muslim Theocracy that openly criminalizes the free exercise of any religion other than Sunni Islam. The war in Gaza is excellent cover for removing Jews from their country, and anyone thinking that they are actually taking a humanitarian stance here, please DM me I have a bridge for sale.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — The Maldives government will ban Israelis from the Indian Ocean archipelago, known for luxury resorts, as public anger in the predominantly Muslim nation rises over the war in Gaza.

The president’s office said Sunday that the Cabinet decided to change laws to prevent Israeli passport holders from entering the country and to establish a subcommittee to oversee the process.

It said President Mohamed Muizu will appoint a special envoy to assess the Palestinian needs and to launch a fundraising campaign.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Oren Marmorstein said in response that the Foreign Ministry recommends Israelis avoid any travel to the Maldives, including those with foreign passports, and those currently there to consider leaving.

Nearly 11,000 Israelis visited Maldives last year, which was 0.6% of the total tourist arrivals.

The original article contains 133 words, the summary contains 133 words. Saved 0%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• CapnAssHolo@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

To be honest we don’t have the laws required to enforce this. This will all depend on how Parliament vote

• Dead_or_Alive@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

After seeing that women get arrested for wearing a bikini in the Maldives a few years ago I’m not sure why anyone goes there anyways.

Let Israel finish the fight!