You might know Robert Miles from his appearances in Computerphile. When it comes to AI safety, his videos are the best explainers out there. In this video, he talks about the developments of the past year (since his last video) and how AI safety plays into it.

For example, he shows how GPT 4 shows understanding of “theory of other minds” where GPT 3.5 did not. This is where the AI can keep track of what other people know and don’t know. He explains the Sally-Anne test used to show this.

He covers an experiment where GPT-4 used TaskRabbit to get a human to complete a CAPTCHA, and when the human questioned whether it was actually a robot, GPT-4 decided to lie and said that it needs help because it’s blind.

He talks about how many researchers, including high-profile ones, are trying to slow down or stop the development of AI models until the safety research can catch up and ensure that the risks associated with it are mitigated.

And he talks about how suddenly what he’s been doing became really important, where before it was mostly a fun and interesting hobby. He now has an influential role in how this plays out and he talks about how scary that is.

If you’re interested at all in this topic, I can’t recommend this video enough.

• NeatNitOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Reposted because someone else’s post was removed after I took issue with its AI-generated summary. If you’re reading this, I didn’t mean for this to happen, I hope you’re not too angry. I actually would have preferred if you just edited your summary to correct it. And FWIW, I upvoted your post.

• sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Not an issue, I posted for the discussion, people not discussing the actual video isn’t fun nor good for Lemmy. If you can do it justice, I’ll celebrate that.

• NeatNitOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

We’ll see if my efforts fare any better.

• NeatNitOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Also feel free to cross-post this to the other community, or anywhere else.