• idiomaddict@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

I mean, he’s 90. So he can safely take $15k/year in addition to his social security (if he lives past 105, he’ll at least be eligible for a care home). That gets him to the $2,500/month point he needs, but he’s completely vulnerable to inflation.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

I didn’t want to get into a debate of how long he might live vs how conservative he would need to be with the money. Seems a bit grim of a discussion. I guess he could go out with a bang by spending it all on hookers and blow, but it’s really difficult to gauge how much he could get away with spending to maximize comfort in his remaining years and not leave too much money on the table.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

didn’t want to get into a debate of how long he might live vs how conservative he would need to be with the money. Seems a bit grim of a discussion.

That’s a conversation we all need to have at some point in our lives. That’s literally the heart of retirement planning. Nobody except for the very rich retires without doing that math and making some assumptions.