• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    26 days ago

You’re missing out on the hanging out part of it. Cook food together, put the movie on, Talk about anything you two want, pay attention to whatever scenes they really think is cool. It doesn’t matter if you pay that much attention to it. You’re being together.

• Crismus@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

I like to have a discussion about the movies I watch during the movie. Sometimes the acting is terrible, or the writing is too unbelievable I just have to say something.

I will stay still and quiet if I must, but that just makes it boring.

• tiramichu@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

How I treat a movie is dependent on the type of movie it is.

For comedies, action movies or cheesy B-movies, I love to have a laugh and trash talk. That’s almost the whole point.

For “serious” movies, I want to watch it, then do the talking afterwards.

• SadSadSatellite @lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

That’s a caveat I inform people of beforehand. I am really into movies, but I have very discriminate taste, so I don’t watch very often because movies are generally dogshit. All my friends know, I will watch anything with them, but I’m going to talk mad shit the entire time. This is a really fun group activity in most cases, and often helps less informed people see through the bullshit that is modern media, but sometimes there’s someone who doesn’t get it, or needs to hyperfocus on the screen.

That signifies to me:

1. This person doesn’t understand the point of hanging out in a group

2. This person falls for blatant marketing

3. We will probably not be good friends

• Sotuanduso@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          26 days ago

I was with you until you started trash-talking people who enjoy media that is specifically designed to be enjoyed.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            25 days ago

Can you believe this guy over here is enjoying something that was engineered for the enjoyment of the greatest number of people?!? What a maroon!

• Instigate@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            25 days ago

It’s also just generally not a good train of thought regardless of the quality of the media or the individual person’s enjoyment.

For instance - my wife struggles to maintain an understanding of the story of whatever she’s watching unless she focuses completely on it, meaning if we want to discuss what we’re watching we pause the TV to discuss and then press play again. If we talk throughout something or she’s on her phone, she misses out entire pieces of critical dialogue or visuals that carry the story and so she ends up not being able to follow it and then therefore doesn’t enjoy it at all, or alternatively she has to ask what’s going on which kinds ruins it for both of us.

It makes no sense to make some weird inference that because of that, she’s somehow more susceptible to marketing or doesn’t know how to spend time with groups of people. Both are definitely untrue. I think it is fair, however, to assume that she probably wouldn’t be good friends with someone who is as judgmental as the previous poster, so at least they got that one right.

• confusedpuppy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

I always find it interesting when someone states they don’t enjoy an activity and one of the first responses are to subtly guilt the commenter for not enjoying an activity.

I’ve been losing interest in movies for the past 15-20 years and being guilted into enjoy something I no longer enjoy for someone else’s expense does not sound like fun.

Fortunately there are plenty of activities to do together. As you mentioned, cooking together sounds great to me. So does walking in nature. I especially love playing music for each other because I love hearing what other people listen to.

Humans are wonderfully complex and there’s plenty in the world to for us to enjoy.

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

It’s like when you tell somebody you’re an introvert and they start giving you tips on how to talk to others and “open up” like you’re broken.

• doctordevice@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

I’ve lost interest in movies over time but maybe for a different reason. I far prefer TV shows these days, especially sci-fi and fantasy, because for me the point is the escapism. With movies there’s just not enough time for the level of immersion I’m after, with rare exception (Lord of the Rings being the main one, but that was more of a miniseries in movie trilogy form). I want to escape into the world and get to know it, what the rules are there, what it’s like to be there.

• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          26 days ago

This is basically my experience too. I don’t really like movies. They feel rushed and empty, and I want to exist within a story for a long time, like video games. And like video games, and books, I strongly prefer sci-fi/fantasy… tho the type of sci-fi does matter… the really dystopian stuff is not my jam at the moment, because of the actual world.

Animated movies are sort of an exception for me, in that I do watch those much more frequently than live action, but they tend to tell much more simplified stories, in a visually more approachable way. You can’t immerse for long periods, but it’s a quick fall into it, and generally quite fantastical in nature.

Edit for clarity :)

• Sotuanduso@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

What about long-running animated movie series, like the DCAMU? Well, it might not be your jam because it gets dystopian at some parts.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              26 days ago

Haven’t really managed to get into DC stuff, tbh. I’m sure I have several of the DCAMU but haven’t watched any of them. Their universe is too… all over the place to have ever caught me in the following (lots of reboots/retellings with new cast, which I strongly dislike for immersion reasons)

But often when I find a movie series like that I’ll watch them like a mini-series. I throw them into a collection and watch back to back. Sometimes I’ll do that with live action movie series too, but they are harder to get into. Animated movies can be visually consistent years apart in a way that live action usually just can’t.

• Sotuanduso@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                26 days ago

Yeah, I understand that. The DCAMU is one 16-movie universe, so no reboots to worry about, but if you do want to watch it, skip the Flashpoint Paradox. That movie is very much all over the place, especially for the “first” movie in the series. It’s technically not part of the universe, but it’s the origin story of the universe. I would highly recommend just reading a synopsis and skipping to the second movie, which is the origin story for the Justice League in that universe.

Also, animated DC and live action DC are worlds apart. The animated movies and shows have consistently been far better (with one exception being the Flashpoint Paradox. I honestly think the live action version of that was better.)

I would compare the DCAMU to the MCU (maybe just up through Endgame.) A key difference is that the MCU is convergent (they spin up new storylines and tie them into the main thread) and the DCAMU is divergent (they create spinoffs and loop them back in later.) A lot of MCU wannabes try and fail by going with the divergent model, but the DCAMU pulls it off pretty well in my opinion.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  25 days ago

I’ll keep that in mind if I’m ever feeling adventurous and in a superhero mood. Mostly because you are advocating for it well, and I can appreciate that that typically comes from somewhere. Thank you for the recommendation :)

I did kinda like MCU basically through endgame (just the movies, some of the shows were good too, but I don’t think they were really relevant) and then it just got to be too much for too long… what are they up to now like 90 movies? Last I checked it was in the 60s, since they fully claim all their old movies now as canon, and I’m not even counting the animated stuff there… so much. I’ve seen most of them but I can’t even keep track anymore.

• Sotuanduso@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    25 days ago

Thanks, your words make me happy, even if it is just on the topic of recommending superhero movies.

I wouldn’t take my recommendation at face value if you’re picky, because I do like the vast majority of superhero movies I’ve seen, including almost all of the MCU. I’m very much not picky, but I do feel like the DCAMU is one of the most epic superhero movie sagas out there.

Also, the MCU is only at 33 films, which is still a lot.

• frickineh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Yeah but we can do that without the distraction of a movie or show on in the background. Plus, a lot of people really, really want you to love the thing as much as they do, so if you’re not into it, they take it kind of personally, and I’m rarely into it. I don’t show people movies I really love anymore (unsolicited) after realizing that I’d spend the whole time worrying about what they think of it instead of just enjoying it.

• Hello@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

That’s part of the problem for me, I can’t only just pay attention to the scenes that I think are cool, because I almost always pay attention to any and all scenes that are in front of me, regardless of whether I like what I’m seeing or not.