• Saff@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

You have to remember that unfortunately just being quick isn’t the only thing that makes a good driver. Them having fans brings a lot of money to a team, and then staying out of trouble on the track also saves them a lot. I think as an entire package Sainz is much more valuable to a team than Ocon is. Maybe that’s just because Ocon isn’t popular in my circle of friends though!

• Saezher@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Youre 100% right. But I am not sure that Sainz have been cleaner than Ocon in his whole carrier. I mean, there are pilots whom each incident is a drama, and other that seem to go over long term critics. When a pilot reaches a top team, I think we tend to forget that they also use to be dirty sometimes. Recent results priors over the whole carrier performance imo. (But I may be wrong, I am not a fanboy at all).

Ironically, Sainz is not very popular in my circle of friends ;). I just tend to defend Ocon, as he clearly suffers form some (french?) bashing, while stroll or magnussen are more mocked. For me, he is just a good pilot among these good pilots, with pros and cons.

But before trashing on these valuable pilots, let’s get rid of the ones that do not have any pace :

• Stroll
      • Sargent
      • Riccardo (seems exhausted)
      • Zhou ? Bottas ? Magnussen ? ;)