The Philippine military chief on Tuesday said the Chinese coast guard seized one of four food packs dropped by a plane for Filipino navy personnel at a territorial outpost that has been surrounded by Chinese vessels in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.

Gen. Romeo Brawner said the Chinese personnel may have suspected the packages contained construction materials intended to reinforce a rusty Philippine navy ship ran aground at Second Thomas Shoal to serve as a Philippine outpost. After discovering the package contained food, they dumped the items, which included rice and biscuits, into the sea, Brawner said.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The Filipinos managed to retrieve three of the floating packages and the Chinese grabbed one, Brawner told reporters in a news conference.

After the Chinese personnel dumped the food items, the Filipino sailors managed to retrieve some at sea but the rice had been soaked wet and could no longer be eaten, he said.

Video and pictures issued by the Philippine military showed at least four motorboats maneuvering dangerously close to each other as the occupants struggled to retrieve items floating at sea, including what appeared to be a white plate and food containers.

The territorial disputes have strained relations and sparked fears the conflict could bring China and the United States, a longtime treaty ally of the Philippines, into a military confrontation.

Washington lays no territorial claims to the busy seaway, a key global trade route, but has warned that it’s obligated to defend the Philippines if Filipino forces, ships and aircraft come under an armed attack in the South China Sea.

Aside from China and the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan are also involved in the long-seething territorial disputes, which are regarded as a flashpoint in Asia and a delicate fault line in the longstanding U.S.-China rivalry in the region.

The original article contains 494 words, the summary contains 203 words. Saved 59%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Can everyone in that region calm the fuck out. Smoke some weed and chill out.