• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

Because the cities are being actively altered in a way that transfers space and other resources from cars, to bikes.

Zero sum game, resources being reallocated, obviously the people whose resources are being taken away are going to view that as a war.

• Diplomjodler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Won’t anybody think of the poor cars? But seriously, resources are better utilised by bicycles to the benefit of all. There are no losers here other than the oil companies and car manufacturers.

• TubularTittyFrog@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

ironically, they win.

whenever the road diet where i live, traffic improves. because it slows down to one lane and it prevents accidents.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

Oops sorry I just noticed your last sentence. Yes there are losers. They include all the people whose lifestyles involve driving.

Pretending otherwise is childish and lame.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

And what exactly are those people going to lose if they get on a bike sometimes? Their diabetes?

• stufkes@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            22 days ago

I’m going to lose my lifetime, literally, by biking a total of 80+ km to work and back. And public transportation takes 2+ hrs one way.

• frezik@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              22 days ago

Then when you get into the city, you’ll benefit immensely from 80% of the people being on separated bike paths rather than cars on the road.

There’s no realistic plan where cities become carless, but can they not be the default?

• stufkes@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                22 days ago

I don’t disagree with the plans to make the city careless. I answered the question what would be so bad about cycling. I think the time factor is often forgotten when talking about cycling and public transport

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  21 days ago

The time factor is always forgotten when discussing ways to make society more efficient. As if the primary thing that the working poor are poor in isn’t time itself.

Time, as a resource to be paid for these various solutions, is treated like a throwaway resource. IMO it’s positively dehumanizing to wantonly allocate other people’s time like that.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                21 days ago

How is a driving person going to benefit from there being more people biking exactly?

Think that through. Why are there more people biking? Because the cost of driving went up.

If those who drive benefit from this system, it will mean more people choosing to drive as a result of driving being more valuable.

Don’t think you’re making the utility of cars better by this. If it made cars more useful it would result in more car trips. If it makes cars more useful and doesn’t result in more car trips, it must have forced some subset of people to stop using cars for the other drivers’ benefit.

• frezik@midwest.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  21 days ago

The costs don’t have to go up at all. Merely uncover the costs that are already there but hidden. Everything from noise, space usage, wars in far off countries, lack of exercise, or just the surprise $1200 repair expense.

• zecg@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              21 days ago

No, lose it making money to maintain and feed the car ( how many working hours a year that is?) and sitting in a car for an hour in one direction. Correct time of commuting is time spent in traffic + time spent to earn the money for fuel. If you bikemute, you can actually consider a part of that time as free gym.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            21 days ago

They’re losing the ability to use their car with the same level of utility as before.

You’re squirming to not recognize this basic fact. It takes a lot of energy expenditure to not acknowledge this fact.

Just be okay with what you’re doing. Own it.

• SwingingTheLamp@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              21 days ago

I think that the problem here is that your definition of “losing” equates to “slight reduction in the massive subsidy that society provides to drivers, and forcing them to drive slower in cities because the lanes are narrower so that other people don’t have to die.” Yeah, technically “losing,” but it still sounds pretty childish to complain about.

• Drusas@kbin.run
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            22 days ago

You have no idea how ableist you’re being right now.

Even ignoring the jab at diabetics, what about other disabled people? Not everyone can just get on a bike.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              22 days ago

It’s always so funny when car brains suddenly discover their heart for disabled people when they desperately reach for arguments against non car centric traffic planning. If you’re genuinely concerned about disabled people and those who can’t drive for other reasons (poverty springs to mind) you should advocate for transport options besides cars.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                22 days ago

A variety of transport options for a variety of preferences and disabilities. Some people have a disability that prevents them from cycling, others from walking, others from driving. Only building car centric is still unfair to those who cannot drive due to disability, age, or skill. Only building bike lanes and no transit or car lanes can also be unfair. Multiple options is the most fair in most scenarios.

• Drusas@kbin.run
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  22 days ago

Exactly. We need multiple options and realistic options for people with limitations. It’s way too common on this community for people to call everybody a car brain just because they have trouble riding a bike.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                21 days ago

It’s always so funny when car brains suddenly discover their heart for disabled people

This is viciously insulting. What the hell are you talking about “suddenly discover their heart”. What do you know about my heart?

You really think the only people to disagree with you are ice cold monsters? That’s a crazy way to see this scenario: you versus the cold blooded shade demons who don’t like being forced to change their lives.

• Drusas@kbin.run
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                22 days ago

I am a disabled person and I vote for transportation levies and taxes every time they come up, but nice trying to pretend that I’m a car brain just because I happen to need one.

Once again, ableism. Don’t assume everybody is not disabled just because you don’t see them in a wheelchair.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  22 days ago

You’re a car brain because you jump from “we should build more bike lanes” to “they want to ban cars”. Nobody is saying that.

• Drusas@kbin.run
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                22 days ago

That will dramatically depend on the disability in question. For some, yes.

• zecg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Yes there are losers. They include all the people whose lifestyles involve driving.

However, they’d on average be healthier and happier, that’s not losing.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            21 days ago

I don’t really know that taking a person’s chosen lifestyle away is gonna make them happier, or that we have the right to force people for the sake of happiness.

Health wise, maybe. Maybe they have more stress because they spend more time in their car due to reallocation of road space from cars to bikes.

You’re dancing around the fact that you are taking from and giving to. It’s a reallocation of wealth from one group to a different group.

The group with wealth taken away loses.

• Prandom_returns@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          21 days ago
          1. There are more car-only roads than bike-only roads
          2. Virtually no roads are ever completely closed off from car traffic and allocated strictly towards bicycles
          3. More lanes = more traffic jams (induced demand)
          4. More bike lanes = more people on bikes = fewer people in cars = fewer jams for “your lifestyle”
          5. Narrower roads = Fewer cars = fewer pedestrian deaths = fewer car-crashes
          6. More people biking/walking, healthier lifestyle, less stress on the healthcare system.

I don’t see how this isn’t a win for car-people and bike-people.

• stufkes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I don’t get why people are just one or the other. I use a car, a bicycle and I walk. I experience shitty cyclists when in my car, shitty car drivers when I’m riding the bike, and as a pedestrian, usually both groups can be shitty lol

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Whenever I tell people I like to walk places they always say something along the lines of “aren’t you wasting your investment in your car and insurance?”

No, I’m not. I have to pay for my insurance to get to work most days. I can still save money on gas/wear and tear by walking. This also saves carbon from the atmosphere, in theory lets me keep my car for a longer period of time, and walking is better for my physical and mental health.

• KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

By giving more space to bicycles, that space can be used by many more people at the same time. Wherever this was done, congestion reduced and traffic improved for all participants.

• regul@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

It’s only a zero sum game if they view driving as an essential and immutable part of themselves, and even then, not really.

Charging adequate prices for street parking, for example, guarantees that you’ll always be able to park easily if you need to, a luxury not provided by free parking.

And then, of course, they could always just get out of their cars and immediately start benefitting from the changes.

• cor@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

zero sum in that there is limited amount of space… so space from something but be subtracted in order to add it to the space of something else….
        it’s not a metaphor, it’s about the total being the same. it’s mathematical and squarely fits the definition of zero sum.

• regul@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          22 days ago

That accepts the framing that we’re designing for cars/bikes/peds. We’re not. We’re designing for people, whether they’re in a car, on a bike, etc.

In that sense it’s very much not zero-sum.

• cor@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            22 days ago

what? no it doesn’t, and yeah people need some sort of transportation and the city will have limited space to accommodate all of those.
            so in that sense: zero sum.

• verdigris@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Yep. Lots of times road traffic is worsened in order to improve bike infrastructure with no simultaneous improvement of non-bike alternatives like public transit. Not everyone can replace their cars with bikes, especially not in America.

• Ebby@lemmy.ssba.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

In my city the transportation infrastructure decisions are made by a car hate group. We have 400 miles of bike lanes and polling shows 3% of the population use. Bike infrastructure isn’t installed for bikers, rather bikers are the excuse to obstruct and restrict vehicle traffic. As long as they use the word “safety”, they get away with really dumb stuff.

I wouldn’t have nearly the problem I do if bikes USED the lanes, but I guarantee I can go out right now and not see a single bike. They are entirely vacant.

To add insult, the bike I’ve seen at a newly converted intersection with dedicated lanes, bike turn box, and no right on red sign didn’t give a rats ass about anyone or any rules, drove on the wrong side, ran a red and drive into active traffic; all the cars stopping for this moron. There is no shared responsibility and no enforcement of rules. That is my liability the biking idiot was messing with. Yes, he’d be at fault if he was hit, but the city stistics would mark that as dangerous intersection and crack down on cars harder.

So yes, I see this as a war. In my city, we coexisted before, but it wasn’t a problem until this turned this into a mine vs yours situation. The passion driving fuckcars communities to take over is matched with my passion to retain functionality. You are the invading force in this war, we are playing defence. I see paths of scorched earth like scars; barren and void of purpose for which it was designated.

There is compromise, yes and I agree some can be made, in return, I want to see utilization, coexistence, and shared respect for the rules.

I see $150 million a year wasted for a incredibly small but disproportionately vocal group of radicalized individuals to actively make things suck and in their wake, after the construction, abandoned by those for whom it was built.

• bassad@jlai.lu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Do you see vacant car lanes too? Cause there are plenty of it!

• Ebby@lemmy.ssba.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          22 days ago

Maybe at 3am, but no, my routes during the day take me on roads with other cars doing grownup stuff. Bike utilization is a drop in the bucket.

Get out there and show us you use the infrastructure built for your peace of mind.

• bassad@jlai.lu
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

Now it is a drop in the bucket, but with a good bike road (which is secure from cars and actually go somewhere, like workplaces, schools, groceries) people can finally take a bike or a scooter instead of their car.

If you want personnal example, I go out and make grown up stuff everyday on my bike, like going to work, groceries and taking kids to the school, cause I know how to mix in traffic (and most of people in cars here are respectful).

With a secured bike road my kids could go by themselves, and my wife could go by herself to groceries, now she is too afraid of cars, fortunately city is spending millions to build that so in few years it will be allright.

And I see plenty of roads empty during the day which is used only twice a day during workdays by a couple of resident (if they work), and you still pay for it without thinking about it.

• Ebby@lemmy.ssba.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              20 days ago

Had to hit the hardware store again due to a defect in product and I passed a bike. Wow! More news at 11!

• Ebby@lemmy.ssba.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              21 days ago

Sorry I couldn’t reply right away, I hit a grocery store and hardware store for work tomorrow.

It was 6.5 miles, took 20 minutes, had bike lanes continuously with half being protected to a grocery store like you want. And no, the supplies I need don’t fit on a bike.

Not a single bike on this warm night perfect for a ride. Anywhere.

All I hear is bikers want want want. Well my city has it, and has for almost a decade.

Complaining is easy, it’s time to use the infrastructure bikers confiscated (yes, bike lanes here are at the expense of what were vehicle lanes) and get out there. Show us there is utilization that follows all this vocal demand.