I just installed EndeavorOS on an HP Spectre360 that’s roughly 2 years old. I am honestly surprised at how easy it went. If you google it, you’ll get a lot of “lol good luck installing linux on that” type posts - so I was ready for a battle.

Turned off secure boot and tpm. Booted off a usb stick. Live environment, check. Start installer and wipe drive. Few minutes later I’m in. Ok let’s find out what’s not working…

WiFi check. Bluetooth check. Sound check (although a little quiet). Keyboard check. Screen resolution check. Hibernates correctly? Check. WTF I can’t believe this all works out the box. The touchscreen? Check. The stylus pen check. Flipping the screen over to a tablet check. Jesus H.

Ok, everything just works. Huh. Who’d have thunk?

Install programs, log into accounts, jeez this laptop is snappier than on windows. Make things pretty for my wife and install some fun games and stuff.

Finished. Ez. Why did I wait so long? Google was wrong - it was cake.

• exanime@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

In my experience the VAST majority of people that say things are hard on Linux have never actually tried it …

Same with people that complain cats are not LoYAl lIkE DOgS… They have never had cats

• exanime@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Exactly right!.. It’s like saying dogs are dumb because they don’t learn words like a parrot would

• bluewing@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

Let me know when you can train a cat to herd sheep or train one to hunt and retrieve game on command. I’ve got 3 cats and 4 dogs here. The cats make nice and often amusing lap warmers. But beyond catching the odd mouse, they can’t do work.

• exanime@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          18 days ago

Most pet dogs don’t do work either… Show me a herder chihuahua or a fox hunting mastif

But again this is a dumb comparison… Why doesn’t your dog repeat words like my parrot? It it dumb? Is it inferior? Or perhaps it’s just another species?

Cats are naturally very effective as mousers, humans used them centuries in ships and they were so valuable because they preserved food stock and prevented disease… Show me a dog doing that specific job it was not bread for… No? There you go, dogs are inferior

• bluewing@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 days ago

Most pets don’t work because their owners don’t bother to train them to do any work. And interestingly enough, I have indeed seen a Chihuahua herd cattle. There was No Fear. It was amazing to see that little toothed monster chase a 2000lbs bull around a pen and into another and then into a barn on command from the farmer that owned him. And a Mastiff will gladly hunt fox, cougars, wolves, and even people if you want them to. They will also happily Netflix, popcorn, and chill on the couch with you after chewing up that human also.

Why don’t my dogs talk? Well, they just don’t have the physical voice box to form the sounds of human speech, (as you well know). But that doesn’t mean they don’t communicate with people. Actions, like tail wagging, barking in various tones and volumes, rolling on the ground all communicate emotions and situational reports. And us humans understand them just fine. My little Russian Spaniel does her best to “talk” to me with a near continuous stream of moans and groans, and erffs when she sits with me in my recliner. It’s almost annoying when she doesn’t shut up. And they understand my communications. My dogs understand verbal, whistle, and silent hand signals and respond correctly and instantly to them when I’m afield with them. Parrots, have a natural physical ability to mimic other sounds, (as do a lot of other birds). So they are doing what comes naturally to them - a human is not required.

There are lots of dogs out there that do jobs they were never bred for. Seeing eye dogs, dogs trained for deaf people or assistants to people confined to a wheel chair. Turns out Labrador Retrievers are really great at this kind of work. And I have trained retired Springer Spaniel hunting dogs to work in a hospital as therapy dogs. But that’s not why or what those breeds exists for. Ever see a trained animal act at a circus? They are often what most people would call “mutts”. Mixed breed dogs doing amusing things like ride bicycles and drive little cars around and jumping through burning hoops of fire. And you can often see little Chihuahuas preforming in those acts. All doing things none of them were bred for.

I like the cats that we have. One, a grey and white is an excellent mouser. But he comes from a very long line of barn cats and has a wild streak in him. The other two, are far more interested in cat toys and sleeping in laps and beds than in any mouse - and that’s fine. A warm kitty in the lap purring away is a calming and enjoyable thing to have on a cold winter’s day. But I’m under no illusion that cats or most other pets can be trained to do all the things my dogs can do.

Dogs are humans oldest and closest companions and co-workers for a reason.

• exanime@lemmy.today
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              17 days ago

You may have misunderstood my point… All I’m saying it’s stupid to compare species based on the attributes of one.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 days ago

Well, I’m not sure a cat can have a bad work ethic if they just don’t have one to start with…

• Russ@bitforged.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Things are also constantly improving over time as well, so its very possible that OP’s setup was somewhat problematic a while ago but have since been resolved.

Which would also make sense if the hardware itself was super new at the time, and didn’t have proper kernel modules for it when it was originally released perhaps.

• Kongar@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

This was the first time I tried to install on this laptop. I expected more issues because of the online comments about HP and this laptop series in particular (janky keyboard, the pen, touchscreen, folds over to a tablet, etc.) Over the years I’ve tinkered often with different distros, and on all the machines across all the attempts - there were a handful of annoyances or driver issues preventing me from having that smooth “it just works” experience. If I put in more effort or was smarter, I probably could have made that printer work, or get bluetooth working, whatever.

The last time I built a new desktop, I specifically bought components I knew would behave in Linux so I had a good experience. But I didn’t realize things had progressed to the point they are today where “it just works” applies to a much broader range of devices such as my laptop.

It’s nice! :)

• nikaaa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Same with people who say solar panels can’t ever work. They haven’t tried them in the last few years.

• Dariusmiles2123@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

I guess a lot of it depends on the hardware you’re using.

I now use a Surface Go 1 and it suits me really well.

But getting it to boot on a usb drive was difficult and I would have given up if it was just to try Linux.

Fortunately, I had already used Linux on many other devices and I knew that the reward was worth the struggle and that the difficulties were not related to Linux.

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 days ago

I’m not having a great time with DisplayLink driver support, personally. Various applications I use with mixed levels of support too, along with missing out on Windows specific GPU features.

This has been my most successful round of Linux adoption, but there are still niggling issues and confusion. The biggest difficulty is that my accumulated support knowledge of like 20 years is useless and I am relearning basic issue identification and resolution processes.

The internet being a raging dumpster fire, support is kind of patchy on more niche topics. All the good, useful discussions are largely happening behind closed doors at this point on everyone’s Discords and whatnot.

• exanime@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

I’m not having a great time with DisplayLink driver support, personally

We used this for work and I had a bit of a hard time setting up 4 years ago when covid hit… I eventually was able to but later on moved on to a different set up.

We still use it on Windows when I go to the office (once a week) and it still shit there

If you post specifics I may be able to help you.

Various applications I use with mixed levels of support too, along with missing out on Windows specific GPU features.

well yes… Windows specific stuff is not usually available in Linux… unless we are talking about gaming which is catching up really quick

The biggest difficulty is that my accumulated support knowledge of like 20 years is useless and I am relearning basic issue identification and resolution processes.

Yes, it’s a different OS… not sure if you were expecting any differently but this is the power of the walled gardens… you learn to live in them and then find it hard to do anything differently… IMO the transition was worth it for me… I hope it is for you

The internet being a raging dumpster fire, support is kind of patchy on more niche topics. All the good, useful discussions are largely happening behind closed doors at this point on everyone’s Discords and whatnot.

This is what I disagree with… that has not been my experience AT ALL. The worst I can say about online support for Linux is that, some communities, are a little caustic (looking at you Arch support, although you do have great online help posted).

If anything, when I can’t seem to find anything regarding something I am looking for, I have defaulted to realizing I may not be asking the right question… RARELY discussions for Linux support happen behind closed doors… it’s just not even in the spirit of the Linux communities. Again, if you’d like to post specifics maybe we can help

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          17 days ago

I’m going to try to take this in the spirit that it was provided, but you’re using a lot of "…"s, and a lot of implications that what I’m saying is obvious, for a person trying to provide earnest assistance. I wasn’t requesting technical support or expressing surprise at these things, I was merely expressing that these were the things I was generally encountering difficulty with my transition to Linux as a daily driver.

The DisplayLink driver for instance is running, and basically functional, but ends up running slowly, with distortions, and instability. It also isn’t signed, so my plan to still run Secure Boot with the distro I’m using alongside Windows is out (without a lot of faff), but that largely won’t matter excusing some specific work setups that I don’t currently have to worry about. Having useful AMD specific driver level tools on Windows that don’t exist in Linux isn’t a surprise, it is a discouragement.

Forum content and non-Reddit content are a pain to locate, especially when you don’t know how to frame your problem in Linux syntax, as you say. Communities are either open but in specific places that I will never find without already knowing about it, or happening in places that aren’t accessible without having already joined, like the Discord of the specific software I need guidance on. My experience has been that there is basic info and there is advanced info out there, but intermediate info that lets you bridge the gap is a challenge to locate, especially with subtle differences in certain steps that are distro/package manager specific. Yet I press on.

• exanime@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            17 days ago

I’m going to try to take this in the spirit that it was provided, but you’re using a lot of "…"s,

No ill will intended. You must be young and I’m old, my kids constantly complain about my abuse of the “…” They say I always sound ominous

The only part my intention was to sound like “well, yes that’s obvious” was the part where you missed some windows specific GPU functions

For the rest I was meaning to say that I recognize those problems but didnt find them insurmountable at the time I had to face them.

I still have to deal with windows today because of work and I find the amount of orphan issues (or issues with no solution 3 years after reporting) saddening because I rarely see that in the Linux community

True, I may be “over the hump” in terms of the initial learning curve but I encourage you to keep at it, you’ll find it enjoyable in no time

• exanime@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

BTW, told my kids about your comment on my abuse of the “…” and they choked laughing for like half an hour. So there is that hehehehe