For the record, I love my bike and don’t own a car. However, the local cycling “activists” in my community are from the same mold as the YIMBY, neoliberal urbanist types. Overwhelmingly white, PMC and childless, who view bicycling and bike infrastructures as the harbinger for livable cites.

When you’re a coder or social media marketing douche sitting on an ergonomic chair for 8 hours, cycling for five minutes to and from your loft is an ideal arrangement. However, cycling is a lot less attractive to a blue collar worker who has to travel to a exurb for their grueling 9 hour retail or Amazon warehouse shift standing on their feet. They would much rather nap on the bus after a shift than push pedals for 5 miles.

There is significant research that bike lanes are a trojan horse for gentrification and neoliberal housing development.

In my mid-size city, the twittersphere about local city politics is disproportionately geared towards cycling. It’s become a cool kids club for PMCs to get involved in municipal politics, while ignoring much more desperate issues like homelessness and police brutality.

• regul [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 years ago

Opposing bike lanes because you don’t like the people who support them is just idpolling yourself in the foot.

Bike lanes are objectively good and necessary if we’re ever going to get people out of cars.

Sometimes you end up working with people you don’t like in politics. It happens.