https://dlpnd.github.io/nvr-wiki/docs/Installation/

New Vegas Reloaded is officially available for download via Discord.

There are many other versions floating around the interwebs but it's HIGHLY recommended you use the latest nightly build, downloaded from the TES Reloaded Discord. 

I’ll point out, this site is hosted on GitHub, which distributes builds, and has build infrastructure…

Why are builds going through discord???!?! Insane

• Toes♀@ani.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I find any mod community that points everything to discord to be a big waste of time.

• puppy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

And I’ve vowed to never contribute to any project that uses Discord as the doc portal or issue tracker.

• FenrirIII@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

I hate Discord because I’m old and don’t want to take the time to figure that shit out. What happened to a regular damn website with a comment section?

• Toes♀@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 days ago

What’s worse is there’s popular programmers out there telling people to do this.

• Malix@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

it’s like that friends -meme: “repeat after me: discord is not the place for documentation/wiki/distribution”, and joey goes “discord is the place for documentation/wiki/distribution”.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

Can we also stop calling mods “reloaded” and the like when they’re really just visual updates? Nothing about that screams “reloaded” to me!

• jet@hackertalks.comOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

Bonus mildly infuriating… The nightly build channel has about 4 builds posted per year.

• affiliate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

maybe it’s being developed in the arctic circle and there really are only four nights per year

• CubitOom@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 days ago

As someone that just started modding and playing FNV for the first time about 2 weeks ago in linux, I must say this is one of the best mods for FNV and if you are planning to play the game I would highly recommend all the Viva New Vegas mods including the extended mods. With New Vegas Reloaded installed afterwards. Also I suggest you use a user generated preset for Reloaded. The Reloaded mod fixes a lot of issues I had with Viva New Vegas only and it adds many more features than I thought it would. It also seemed to have made the game run with less crashes too but I would still recommend CASM with MCM to improve the autosave functionality of the base game.

While I agree that the use of discord is mildy infuriating. I’d like to play some Devil’s avavodo for a moment as someone that uses git almost everyday and teaches trunk based development.

1. Not everyone knows how to use git. As a modding community they want outside contributions from anyone that is willing to put the time in and make as low as a barrier to entry as possible.

2. Most of these modders are using windows and even just installing git on windows isnt that easy for the average windows user. Infact i only just recently fugured out how to get mod organizer 2 working properly on linux so I could mod FNV using modorganizer2-linux-installer. For the average windows user, needing to make a git commit to contribute to a modding comunity would be more than mildly infuriating. So I especially see the user generated presets for this never leaving discord unless some kind of pipeline / serverless function was inplace that took the discord file uploads and did a git commit for the user.

3. Most of these builds are not plaintext and would not benifit from using git versioning. They should also probably make use of use git lfs considering their size which even less people understand how to use lfs compared to normal git.

I think the easiest solution is to try to copy both the stable and the nightly builds to their github on their own respective branches. And make set them as releases. Idealy this would be automated using guthub actions. This is not a trunk based development approach, but neither is having nightly builds and it would take time to change development philosophy.

The user generated presets however will take a bit more consideration before moving to github as anyone can upload them and they are made often. But this ultimately should also use github actions and be commited to a different repository possibly in the same organization (or what ever github calls it) as to keep a bit of distance from the official releases.

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

Nobody has to use git, you can host binaries on github, or a dozen other places, and then just link to it on a page. Trivial task.

They just clearly don’t care.

• jet@hackertalks.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 days ago

I’ve been playing a few hours with wild card, it’s an amazing experience!

I discovered I can walk directly to new vegas from good springs as a level 1 character just by hugging the eastern canyon wall going north, and bypass all the death claws! Great way to test out mod stability going straight to vegas!