• The2b@lemmy.vg
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

It’s no longer labeled vegan. A lot of producers actively avoid the label, despite the fact that the Vegan Society would provide their stamp of approval. I’ve heard somewhere putting it on your product lowers sales. All this to say, are you certain it’s actually not vegan anymore?

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

I ran an experiment a few years ago at a party I hosted. I had two trays of Oreos. One labeled ‘Oreos’, the other labeled ‘Vegan Oreos’. Now, Oreos are vegan, but aren’t labeled as such. I had to refill the standard Oreos a couple times throughout the night. The ‘Vegan’ labeled tray ended the night with more than half still there. Vegan definitely plays a role in sales, and not always for the best.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

That’s interesting! I also wonder if its a legal shielding technique to abandon the “vegan” label in case one of their upstream suppliers changes without notifying the manufacturer. If you never claim it to be vegan, you’ve in no danger of violation.

• The2b@lemmy.vg
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Vegan is not a regulated term. Plenty of products that say they are vegan still have animal products, such as honey.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

There are people that hold specific definitions of the term “vegan”. If you never use the word, you can never run afoul of anyone’s definition.

• MindTraveller@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 days ago

The reason the vegan label lowers sales is that smart people already read the product label, so they know it’s vegan either way. Lazy people who don’t like thinking need to be told that something is vegan. Vegans tend to be smart, and vegan-haters tend to hate thinking.