I’ve been using SwiftKey for over a decade now, and I didn’t really realize how potentially horrible it is for privacy. What are some good alternatives you guys can suggest, ideally open source?

My ideal keyboard includes swipe to type and a notepad (to paste certain emoticons like shrug emoji and such).

Thank you!

• Sim@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I use Gboard and have been meaning to find an alternative, so this is a useful thread though it seems the concensus is there aren’t really any.

What I’d love to do is completely remove any reference to stickers and gifs from the emojis selection but it’s not possible. The emojis button can be removed from the keyboard, maybe it’s time to go back to traditional ASCII.

• Ashen@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Check out the comment about the version of OpenBoard that supports swipe. I’m using it right now, actually. It’s not perfect but serves as a solid alternative to Swiftkey.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

OMG I hate the stickers. I used to accidentally send them all the time when trying to hit the comma. I uninstalled all the stickers packs, which means I can’t accidentally send them now, but I still accidentally hit the button since you can’t remove it for some dumb-ass reason.

• Sim@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Openboard with swipe has fixed this for me. Takes a little getting used to but worth it IMO.