While the District Attorney’s Office agrees that it is highly inappropriate to teach while intoxicated, it is, unfortunately, not illegal.”

• moon@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 days ago

I don’t believe for a second that this teacher can convey information just as well sober as they can drunk. It might not be a crime, but it’s unethical to mess with a child’s one and only chance at getting an education like that.

Adults are allowed all sorts of vices. You can do drugs, participate in orgies, listen to the Beach Boys. But that doesn’t mean you should do any of that at work. Especially if you work with children.

• Patapon Enjoyer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

“Alright kids now for geography class we’ll be learning about Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama, Keylargo, Mont-WAIT STOP”

“Take him away, boys.”

• Melkath@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 days ago

You don’t need to believe it, I’m sure a lot of teachers would do a whole ton better with a buzz. Be more fun, more engaging.

Your puritanical attitude is your own, and you need to stop forcing your own misconceptions on others.

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

In my experience (sober for two years, and a lot of talks with people in various stages of alcoholism to help with my own), while this maybe has some truth to it in lucky circumstances, the kind of people willing to have a buzz in that situation aren’t the kind who stop at just a buzz

• Melkath@kbin.earth
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 days ago

Are you sober because you got your mental health issues addressed and you no longer needed the vice?

Or are you sober because prohibitionists locked onto you, beat you down, punished you, sucked up all your money, broke you, and now you are “sober” like someone who lived in San Jacinto and was thrown into the pit, was broken, and is now a “devoted free thinking Scientologist”?

• Melkath@kbin.earth
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              17 days ago

So you caught a charge and got reprogrammed by a court system that focuses on the substances, not the crime.

Gotcha.

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                17 days ago

No I’m serious I don’t know what you were going on about but it seemed like a lot of stuff in there. You’re being wildly specific and tying together things in a way that I legitimately don’t understand what you’re saying and also you’re just wrong in my case lol

I decided to get sober because I don’t like how addiction feels like a loss of autonomy and I physically felt like shit all the time. I was able to get sober because I put a lot of work into surrounding myself with supportive people

• roguetrick@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                17 days ago

Do you drink and argue on the Internet at all hours because you’re caught in a self destructive spiral but still have too much of an ego to give up hating the world?

• KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 days ago

Teaching isn’t a job that attracts the best and brightest who try to be at the top of their game every single day.
      In my school I was lucky if the teacher gave enough of a shit to actually do some teaching at all.
      Half of them basically refused to do their job.