link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    15 days ago

Open sourcing this means manufacturers have easy access to the device’s form factor to create an ecosystem of accessories. People still need to buy the laptop. It makes perfect sense.

• tyler@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

Also the difficulty is in the production line and custom swappable components, not the case design.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

this is effectively the hardware equivalent of having a public API, sure you could technically reverse engineer your own server implementation, but really you’re going to use it to make stuff that interacts with the existing server.

• IllNess@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 days ago

The mechanical keyboard community was working on an ortholinear keyboard module. Having every dimension in digital form would make fitting the keyboard a lot easier with less wasted materials for prototyping.

• IllNess@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

I don’t need a new laptop but when I do need one, I’m definitely going with Framework.

• heluecht@pirati.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

@IllNess @Grass My X230 is now more than 10 years old. At some point in time I will need to replace it. Then a Framework device would be the best choice - but only when they improve the keyboard or there are third party keyboards that better match my needs.

• heluecht@pirati.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

@IllNess @schizoidman I’m looking forward to alternate keyboards. When I tested a Framework device, I had the impression that the keyboard had been a linear one. I made the experience, that I need a tactile keyboard.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    14 days ago

YES! one step closer to more adoption, which is what we need from it now. not only from consumers but from creators and manufacturers. open sourcing its pieces will essentially make it into an open standard.

i really want to ditch my desktop for a cheap, modular, upgradable and repairable laptop and we are one step closer to that reality. framework is my hope that it will happen and i’m rooting for it to succeed.

• delirious_owl@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 days ago

What was the licensing before? Kinda sketch that this wasn’t always available. What else are they holding back from releasing currently?

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

It’s their property, they don’t owe it to anybody. There’s nothing sketchy about this.

It’s likely that they always intended to release CAD models, but it took time to clean them all up and get them in order. Usually you don’t want to make a public release with your original working files because they’re messy and would cause more confusion in your user community than benefits.

• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

Am I the only one that calls my CAT layers stuff like “koala buttfucker”, knowing pretty well that I’m the only one who sees it?

• Archpawn@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

Ownership in general isn’t some fundamental inalienable right. It’s just that if you let people own things, you give them more incentive to make things. I think intellectual property rights are far too extensive, but if we didn’t have them at all, how would we pay for R&D? How would we pay for big budget games and movies? Maybe you’re happy contributing to openly licensed projects, but a lot of people have to pay for rent and raise a family, and can’t take the time to contribute to things like that even if they want to unless they have the money to support themselves.