Intel’s 916,000-pound shipment is a “cold box,” a self-standing air-processor structure that facilitates the cryogenic technology needed to fabricate semiconductors. The box is 23 feet tall, 20 feet wide, and 280 feet long, nearly the length of a football field. The immense scale of the cold box necessitates a transit process that moves at a “parade pace” of 5-10 miles per hour. Intel is taking over southern Ohio’s roads for the next several weeks and months as it builds its new Ohio One Campus, a $28 billion project to create a 1,000-acre campus with two chip factories and room for more. Calling it the new “Silicon Heartland,” the project will be the first leading-edge semiconductor fab in the American Midwest, and once operational, will get to work on the “Angstrom era” of Intel processes, 20A and beyond.

I don’t know why, but I’ve never thought of the transport logistics involved in building a semiconductor fabrication plant.

• Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

I haven’t switched over fully to EV even but I’m actually FOR higher gas prices (go ahead throw your stones). Like high enough that the rich fucks in UAE don’t get richer because it actually causes people to drive less and that surcharges get used towards things like helping families that have suffered from Pb exposure and efforts to offset carbon emissions and fund clean energy research.

• JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        13 days ago

I agree with you…the cost of a gallon of gas is, and has always been, less than the cost to remove a gallon of gas worth of CO2 from the atmosphere, and I don’t think the price should ever have been less than that amount. I don’t think that’s an unfair position, cleaning up your mess should be a part of the cost of the good.

But man what a way to fuck the majority of the 99%.

• Imgonnatrythis@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

Maybe temporarily, but I think it would help the push back for more remote working, more thoughtful use of transportation, better motivation to use and build public transportation. It’s getting back to what op was saying about America’s unwillingness to bear some pain points that can allow for real progress and ultimately more comfort.