Ever since I made this post, I have tried my best to follow through and “be the change you want to see.” I’ve made a lot of mediocre stuff, some bad, and a few I am proud of in those 6 months. I have spent most of my free time trying to make new OC specific to Lemmy.

However, I think that with the attempts to try to encourage others in this kind of creative endeavor, I have run out of steam. I will often sit down with a plan for a project, half finish it and then just delete it.

I am a musician and have never experienced creative burnout there, despite having done that for most of my life so this is a new feeling to me. I picked up a new creative hobby and I feel burned out in less than a year.

If anyone can offer some advice here, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I have no artistic or musical talent whatsoever, but I do develop software as a day job and as a hobby which has a bit of creative overlap.

For me, I just have to completely step away for a while and do something completely different as a palette cleanser. Sometimes that’s only for an hour, sometimes a week or more. Sometimes I never go back to it, which tells me I wasn’t that interested in it to start with. What I do know is that if I force myself to keep going when I hit that creative burnout stage, the results suffer along with my mental health.

That works fine for my hobby projects, but for work, I pretty much have to power through. Luckily, for my professional work, it’s more backend / business logic than frontend / UI which is where my creative burnout usually crops up.

May not be a universal solution, but stepping away and changing gears works for me.