Real question. I would like to know what drives you to hate Apple? (In terms of privacy of course because in terms of price it’s another story).

• Strider@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Golden cage.

Their way or no way.

It’s really simple.

Oh adding to that, ever since I received the knowledge: the support, guru or whatever appointment? Worse than doctors and I hate that too. Why??

• atmur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 days ago

Their way or no way

The one Apple product I still own is an iPad and I run into this constantly.

• Support for network shares in the files app is barely functional at best (“Just use iCloud!”)

• Mouse support is still super limited (“Just use touch!”)

• You can’t install applications from anywhere but the appstore (“sECuRIty”)

• You can’t install a proper browser or browser extensions (I don’t know even know what Apple’s excuse for this one would be)

• You can’t disable or modify window tiling (“It’s just like an iPhone, because fuck multitasking!”)

Apple sells the iPad as a computer replacement, but basically all its capable of is watching Netflix or basic note-taking. The longer I use this thing the more I want to buy some x86 tablet that I can just install Linux on instead.

• macniel@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

Apples excuse is Battery Life since their mobile safari is apparently more energy conserving than other browsers.

• 𝙱𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝@lemmy.zipOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 days ago

It is true that a real Firefox on iOS/iPadOS is missing. But otherwise you can’t say that your iPad is ONLY used to watch Netflix 🤣 I mean, some people replace their computer with an iPad!

• atmur@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          13 days ago

I’m being hyperbolic with that last part, but there’s so much basic computer stuff that the iPad can’t do that it feels like Apple only expects this to be a device to watch Netflix on.

I want to install VS Code (or a comparable IDE) and run/debug some Python scripts, can’t do it.

I want to open a terminal and use basic utilities like ssh, curl, tar, yt-dlp, rclone, rsync, etc, can’t do it. I literally need to install a separate app that lets me ssh into a Linux box so I can do basic stuff there. I’m SOL if I need to work with any data on the iPad’s file system though.

I want to install Godot and continue playing around with game development on the go, can’t do it.

I want to install Steam and play some indie games, can’t do it.

Procreate is pretty good, but I’d rather use Krita.

Which means despite the fact that I want to use it for more, all I do with my iPad Pro (“Pro,” lmao) is watch movies and TV from my Jellyfin server, occasionally draw if I don’t feel like sitting at my desk with a proper Wacom/Krita setup, and write my shopping list.

• 𝙱𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝@lemmy.zipOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            13 days ago

I agree, I myself am a programmer but hey not everyone is installing IDEs and game engines and Linux on their tablet. Steam could be interesting knowing that Apple authorizes alternative stores in the European Union. The iPad is not complete indeed, but it is just a consumer computer that targets people who do not want to complicate their lives as well as artists (Apple pencil).