• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

I can’t believe people construed the lack of this feature in a brand new software as bad Canonical want to kill deb! It’s a brand new software. Features need work. Either go and write them or wait for someone else to do it.

• pop@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

I can’t believe people construed the lack of this feature in a brand new software as bad Canonical want to kill deb!

Most loud mouth open source enthusiasts are often toxic entitled choosing beggars. If any of their desires are not met, the project is dying or dead even though the statistics say otherwise.

Fork it and fix things you want to make it better?

No way bro. I want someone else to work on the feature I requested one year ago.

• Aatube@kbin.melroy.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

They removed installing another package that did this by default in the same version where they introduced the App Center. Ubuntu Software never handled installing third-party debs, gdebi did. And in the version where they introduced the App Center, they stopped bundling gdebi by default.

Also, the old behavior was that you double click on a deb file and App Center just hangs. This was shipped in the LTS.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 days ago

This has been false for a while. The Ubuntu Software Center has been handling deb installs for a while on my machines. I just checked on my oldest machine - 20.04 - and the Ubuntu Software app launches on double clicking a deb file. I do not have gdebi installed. I don’t recall when it replaced gdebi, whether it was in 16.04, 18.04 or 20.04 but it’s definitely the case in 20.04. So check your info before getting worked up.

• TurboWafflz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

That would definitely be valid for a smaller community supported distro like mint, but canonical is a big company that already has kind of a bad reputation for things like that so I think it was reasonable for people to complain

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 days ago

A big company eh? They’re about 20 times smaller than Red Hat. They very much depend on Debian and the larger FOSS community to get their OS built.

I’ve been on this train since 2004 and I’ve been paying attention. Not all but a lot of the flak they’ve been getting over the years has been based on misinformation and ignorance. But trying to get things objective and correct doesn’t make for a good flame war.