I am an Indian and I have noticed that Indians are way too proud of their country for some reason and at the same time lack any civic sense towards it, they are extremely loud and extremely proud. We feel like the world revolves around India and our culture is superior to that of others. Also, a considerable chunk of the population has been sold the “India is a world-leader” myth and they think India is somehow leading the world in innovation, science and technology, human development etc.,

Now, I know for a fact that this is not true, when I try to gauge the perception of Indians abroad on Twitter, I get pretty negative results, but Twitter has nothing good to say about any group of people, so… I kinda wanted to know what you people though of India, don’t base it upon the etnic Indians who might be your friends and are decent people, but base it upon the news you read, the stories you hear from those Indians, etc.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

India gets my respect for its very long history, and the fact it invented buddhism.

But Indian code is terrible. It degrades my respect for the country because it’s just consistently really bad.

A lot of Indian code seems like someone tried to fix a broken car window by caulking a fish tank into place. You confront them and they’re like “What? It’s glass isn’t it? It’s exactly the same”

Now I haven’t seen a lot of Indian code. I’ve seen the output of maybe ten different devs in India, and of that sample it’s all bad. Like really bad.

They work hard and get shit done, but it’s always some kind of hacky kluge made from copy-pasted code.

It’s unclean. It’s full of tech debt. It’s redundant. It’s often not even indented correctly.

• nova_ad_vitum@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

Western countries employing Indian coders are generally looking for the cheapest coders they can find who speak passable English. All of that sounds like you got what you paid for.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 days ago

It’s probably true that the examples I’m thinking of were all from that general notion. The attitude of “We’re going to India to get this done cheap.”

• saigot@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 days ago

Yep and when they pay for better they tend to ship the engineer to their base of operations. Huge brain drain.

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 days ago

I went back and forth thinking you meant code like Building Code, or Traffic Code. But you literally mean programming code.

They work hard and get shit done, but it’s always some kind of hacky kluge made from copy-pasted code.

Honestly, I agree.

I will argue that the only code I ever saw from India was from coding firms hired by American companies thinking they can save a few bucks. But then people like me are paid 10x more to fix it.

That code seems to lack any sort of creative thinking or big picture. It’s loops within loops. It’s using stuff like letters for variables, or abbreviations. It’s duplicating code in 3000 line files.

At first, I thought it was just laziness or trying to get it done asap. But then I felt sad when I gave them a lot of feedback, got the changes back, then the next set of code, saw the same issues over again. Like they really don’t see a problem with this.

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 days ago

Unfortunately this is my experience as well. It’s probably something in the way that it’s taught over there? I do love my Indian coworkers-- they’re nice and willing to help or collaborate, and are good people as far as I can tell-- but some of the architectural decisions are something that I can only describe as baffling.