• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 days ago

Have those warning labels been shown to work like at all? We already have awareness saturation about just how awful cigarettes are for you.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 days ago

Lol no, no one smokes anymore mainly because it’s a taboo and a pack of cigs is so expensive it’s basically impossible to do so on the regular.

The labels don’t do shit.

• Thunderbird4@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 days ago

How do you think smoking went from something nearly everybody did to being taboo? Maybe the labels don’t do anything for the last 10% of the population who still smoke today, despite the taboo, but those labels played a big role in reinforcing public awareness of the health effects of smoking.

• Bakachu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

With the government executing this message to our youth, I think they’ll work as well as the anti-piracy ones back in the day.

You Wouldn’t Steal a Car

• pewter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

Warnings probably work better on products you’re putting in your body. If you have blackened lungs on the cigarette packaging I can’t imagine choosing to smoke.

On social media, you basically have to destroy my experience for me to stop using it in the same way. All effective options are terrible: ads, microtransactions, auto-playing unexpected sounds, nonresponsive interfaces.

• UnpluggedFridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

What do you mean by work? Do they stop everyone from doing stupid things? No. Do they have a measurable effect on behavior? Yes.

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 days ago

The fact is, with the world we live in being like it is, why the fuck not smoke? For the chance to live a little further into the distopian hellscape of our impending future? Some reward that is for denying myself something I enjoy.

• chuckleslord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 days ago

COPD fucking sucks, my dude. Living longer isn’t the goal, living comfortably is and being unable to breathe all the time is the worst.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 days ago

It’s not a great plan to encourage yourself to smoke while expecting a future society with even worse healthcare

• teft@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 days ago

Even if the world becomes a hellscape do you want to meet your maker choking on bits of your own lungs or breathing normally?

That is why you shouldn’t smoke. Lung cancer and COPD are not things you want to deal with if you want to do anything remotely physical later in life.

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

You would have to be an absolute moron to think smoking only kills you early. That’s not how it works.

Even if you don’t like the world around you today and aren’t enthusiastic about the future, the way smoking kills you makes your day to day worse until you eventually get a very painful day to day until you eventually give out and die. You are advocating slowly committing both expensive and painful suicide over a 30 year span because you don’t want to live for 40 more years.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 days ago

These comments are a good reminder of how dumb many people here are. Good temperature check

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 days ago

I got a downvote for saying that smoking kills you slowly and eventually painfully. Like, how is that debatable at this point? Am I getting a downvote because I’m not vibing?

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 days ago

That downvote was probably from the dude you replied to just being a baby