• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

I find that title to be wholly innaccurate.

There were also women on the force, so it was 376 boys and girls in blue sat around and let 19 kids and 2 teachers die.

Well, 375. There was that one asshole who shouted “Do you need our help?” to which a hiding child responded “Yes we need help!” and was subsequently shot by the gunman

That person actively caused a child to die.

• BassaForte@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Don’t forget the one cop that wanted to help but was held back and prevented from entering (I think his wife was a teacher or something)

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Oh, and that other cop who was going to try to open the unlocked classroom door but was then told to go patrol the rest of the school

• Delta@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

The only reason they even started evacuating was because one of them opened a classroom and saw it was full

• 100_kg_90_de_belin @feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

A: Marvel saw fit to publish a comic book in which Frank Castle tells cops to stop using his logo. B: now that the guy with a Punisher lock screen has experienced loss, he may step up his war-on-crime game.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

I didn’t bother reading it. It’s an old story that most of us have heard and just needed a reminder of.

edit: also, i feel so confident in the truth of the story that a Pro Cop bias story will still make the cops look shitty because the hard facts are

1. This guy choose to follow orders over “duty.”

2. This guy choose to follow orders over saving innocent lives.

3. This guy choose to follow orders over saving his wife’s life.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

LOL that always cracks me up.

1. The punisher was a vigilante. He’s not a caricature someone charged with enforcing the law should look up to, but telling that they do.

2. The Punisher regularly killed corrupt cops.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Before anyone says that it’s easy to say they would have done while behind a keyboard, cops were preventing bystanders from going in to recuse the kids.

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

“do you need help?”

“Nah we’re good, call back next week maybe”

What kind of idiotic ass fucking question was that?

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 days ago

boys and girls in blue

How about we clarify that as: little boys and little girls in blue.

Altho TBF, women in blue are typically at the bottom of the chain, and almost certainly deserve the least amount of critique here, whilst the highest ranking dudes unquestionably deserve all the shit in the world for directly ordering their forces not to make any meaningful attempt.

• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

And it was a civilian woman who ran in and got her kid. She would’ve died trying, if unsuccessful. More balls than any of the male officers. They should make her a statue.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

Right on.

Now this is just personal anecdote-- but one thing I’ve always been pretty surprised by (as a person with fairly severe health issues, haha not sure how that totally influences thigns) is how, when there’s a local emergency, the adrenaline just hits me and I spring in to action (as much as I can) to help out.

Par example, three times now I’ve survived bad fires that way, and after comparing notes with an old friend over Uvalde, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that both of us felt the same way-- that we wouldn’t have been able to look ourselves in the mirror if we hadn’t made our best attempt to save the kids.

Seriously, how do these BLUE people look at themselves in the mirror for either not doing their best that day, or on a national scale, for enabling this awful betrayal of public trust?

• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

Because police in the US exist to protect the rich and their property, and to funnel “those people” into for-profit prisons. They don’t give two shits about you, your family, or anything except for their pensions.