Alt text:

An idling gas engine may be annoyingly loud, but that’s the price you pay for having WAY less torque available at a standstill.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

Hey mate I’m just here for some friendly discussion, I’m not here to argue until I’m blue in the face.

There is a difference between your above points and the original claim.

Fuel density doesn’t matter, what matters is how far you can drive on a charge.

Charge time doesn’t matter if you can swap a battery in 3 minutes instead of waiting to charge.

For your new point of rare earth materials, this isn’t related to the original energy density or charge time points, but high density batteries that don’t use rare earth metals already exist, the problem is cost. That will change over time.

Also you’re ignoring that fossil fuels are also dug out of the ground.

• 14th_cylon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 days ago

Fuel density doesn’t matter, what matters is how far you can drive on a charge.

Charge time doesn’t matter if you can swap a battery in 3 minutes instead of waiting to charge.

1. they matter for the reason i explained. you are acting like we can simply build as much batteries as we want, which is not true
      2. and change them as conveniently as filling up the gas tank, which is also not true.
      3. and the whole “just swap the battery” concept leads to need of more batteries -> go to (1)

Also you’re ignoring that fossil fuels are also dug out of the ground

i am not, i am not defending fossil fuel, i am just pointing out that the ev concept has problems that are not widely talked about.

just because some other strategy has problems doesn’t mean your strategy is problem free.