Alt text:

An idling gas engine may be annoyingly loud, but that’s the price you pay for having WAY less torque available at a standstill.

• Aux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

I don’t live in the US, but I do live in an apartment. There is a charger at my parking and plenty on the streets.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

You live in the city? I’m just curious, I’ve noticed cities typically move much faster than small towns if at all. I think it’s really cool you have that kind of luxury to be honest.

I live in a small town that tries to be modern but it often results in something like free wifi city wide that doesn’t really work or a walking path that goes from an Indian park to the opposite side of town for some reason. The one charging station was one of those things that didn’t work out but it was neat that they tried.

They are trying to lay optical fiber and trying to convince people to sign up, its super expensive compared to privately owned ISP’s but better than coax I guess.

• Aux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

Yeah, I live in a city. In London to be more specific. But on street charging options are growing fast all over the country, you can read more here and you can find a map with all the spots there as well https://www.zap-map.com/ev-guides/on-street-charging

The idea behind on street charging is that infrastructure is already there (lamp posts, etc), adding charging points is relatively cheap and that will generate additional income for the local councils. So it’s a win-win for everyone.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

That’s neat! I think having the ability to charge outside of your apartment/work would be a huge help for people interested. I still think public transportation, bike paths, and walking paths done right is better but cars that polute less is a good step towards the right direction.

It’s personal preference but I still think hybrids and plugin hybrids are better for most people, at least until electric cars improve.