Alt text:

An idling gas engine may be annoyingly loud, but that’s the price you pay for having WAY less torque available at a standstill.

• spongebue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 天前

I wasn’t trying to be modest or justify my purchase, I was trying to point out that I’m a pretty normal person who wouldn’t be the lucky 1 in 20 for whom an EV would make sense.

Maybe I have to charge a little more on a big road trip once or twice a year and that trip will take an hour or so longer (keeping in mind I stop for other things anyway). Over that year I’ve saved time in other ways by not going to the gas station or getting my oil changed (or doing it myself). Saved money that way too. Oh, and the car is a battery and a motor. There’s no series of accessories given by a belt moving at 2500 RPM. There’s no catalytic converter to worry about. All that’s to say, less maintenance over time. No need to check emissions. The car is quiet and an absolute pleasure to drive.

I’d say having an EV works damn fine for me. The question is, why am I not part of the 95%?

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 天前

Because you thought the benefits out way the downsides. The idea of a bad product is subjective and in my opinion the alternatives are just better for the vast majority of people for now.

It’s will take standardization of parts and the ability for owners and mechanics to work on it, ability for third parties to produce parts, a track record that proves their claimed reliability and longevity, a more competitive market, better battery tech, more infrastructure for charging, more reliable charging and better range during the winter, etc. all that before it’s suitable for more individuals in my opinion.

I still hear plenty of stories involving people trading their EVs in for a gas powerd car either before or after their lease runs up. And I’ve seen actual people in my life considering an EV and getting a hybrid because of this or that. There are just so many reasons it’s impractical for people. It doesn’t make them bad and your not wrong for owning one. They just fit your use case better than most.

• spongebue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 天前

And I’ve seen plenty of people go from a Chevy Volt (hybrid) to a Bolt (full electric). But that’s not the point. None of what you said was. I told you my car has worked great for me and why, and asked why I’m not part of the 95% of people you mentioned when my life is generally pretty average. You failed to answer that pretty basic question.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 天前

I don’t know why you want me to explain you and your situation. I really don’t see why it would be the same as everyone elses. I’m pulling from stories, other people’s experiences, studies, real world cases, the research I did when I was interested, what mechanics are saying, and so on.

Maybe it’s different where you live but I come from the Midwest and many of the places I’ve been, what family members, neighbors, and friends think think are the same story. I really was hoping for actual substance in this conversation but seeing as it’s becoming cyclical I’m going to move onto more important things and I hope you do too.

I did have one case where someone enjoyed their Tesla, he was a retired firefighter that barely drove and he liked the way it rode. He didn’t know much about it though when I talked to him.

• spongebue@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 天前

There’s a ton of pretty baseless, biased, and flat out wrong anti-EV stuff out there. Don’t trust everything you read on the Internet.

95% of people is a huge number. I’m harping on it because it’s such a bold claim that an EV wouldn’t work for such a huge number, so I’m trying to see how you can back it up.

And for the record, I live in Colorado and am from Minnesota. So I’m reasonably familiar with winter.