Alt text:

An idling gas engine may be annoyingly loud, but that’s the price you pay for having WAY less torque available at a standstill.

• Nicoleism101@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Eee 40k euros? That’s what I am talking about I buy cars for 20k-25k€ maximum after conversion to local currency

You don’t even drive one so how can you have valuable opinion on this? I drive one and analyse which one is the most efficient purchase and you only deal in theoretical armchair expertise

• volodya_ilich@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

You buy much cheaper cars than the average German then. Good for you to unironically know better than the average German and understand that beyond the 20-25k mark, you’re paying for stupid stuff and branding.

I can analyse this because I can compare studies and averages, my whole point was “no, electric cars aren’t even that expensive anymore”, not “cars are good and electric cars are always better and everyone should get one”.

• Nicoleism101@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

Allright maybe they are cheaper than a year ago at least. Still very infeasible here however except for semi upper class countryside

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 days ago

Only you can judge your own circumstances but it really seems like fear of difference makes worries loom larger.

Here in the US

• my Tesla was the most expensive car I ever bought
          • but price had dropped and continues to drop
          • cheaper than the average new car, cheaper than the custom trucks so many neighbors have
          • it was like $120 to buy a full set of adapters and cables to allow me to plugin anywhere to any type of outlet
          • installing a level 2 home charger (if you can) was essentially the same cost as installing a new stove circuit - expensive but quite doable
          • superchargers are all over the place and easy to find. I know people who can’t charge at home just goto the supercharger once a week
          • since I can charge at home, I’ve only used superchargers over 100 miles from home
          • it’s really nice to never have to go to the local gas station: charging my car is like charging my phone, get into the habit and it’s always ready to go. Once people get used to this, they’ll never accept the idea of a technology like hydrogen where you would have to go refuel yet again
          • it’s roomier, more practical than my Subaru
          • it’s faster more powerful than my old Grand Am
          • my local garage services them, or at least inspects them, since I haven’t yet needed service
          • Nicoleism101@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

I know it’s mostly better but it’s not feasible yet where I live. 1) more expensive… I mean I already typed all the things once

Wait tho why do I have a feeling like we are arguing even though we just repeat our own experiences? It’s all cool, some place electric cars are viable elsewhere they aren’t. I hope they will become feasible here where I live (middle eu)

• volodya_ilich@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Again, I don’t know what “here” means, I’m telling you that the average new car in Germany (since you mentioned central Europe)costed more than 40k€, and that’s more than some seriously good electric cars like the BYD Dolphin.

• Nicoleism101@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

Yes… nice to hear my neighbours enjoy that kind of economy. Hopefully at some point it will become possible here too instead of 2x price