Despite how hot it is, landlords in Tennessee are not required to keep the air conditioning running.

In our changing climate, that probably comes as a surprise.

However, unless it’s in the lease, nothing in Tennessee’s Landlord-Tenant Act gives renters the right to air conditioning.

“I think it’s unfair. It’s inhumane to me because without air we can’t live and breathe,” said Anita Brown.

• reddig33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 days ago

I doubt adding AC would make it unaffordable, other than the renter having to pay the electric bill. The federal government, some cities, and most electric providers offer incentives to purchase and install modern HVAC units. window units are also an affordable option included in or allowed in many rentals.

• SchmidtGenetics@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 days ago

The federal government, some cities, and most electric providers offer incentives to purchase and install modern HVAC units

Which is because there’s a market to sell them, make it mandatory and there is no reason to have sales or grants, it’s a guaranteed sell. Which is also politics….

It’s an extra 3-5k on the sticker price, that’s unaffordable for a large swath of people, especially when the house is only 60k anyways.